7.3 powerstroke ZF6 speed swap using original 71 highboy frame

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

BigIslandBump

7.3 powerstroke ZF6 speed swap using original 71 highboy frame

Post by BigIslandBump »

I wanted to share this with the community of bump enthusiasts.
I don't know what this is considered in regards to topic there isn't a "swap" category but it best fits in engine I suppose

I’ve completed a swap on my 71 highboy.
Here are the specs

71 F250 4x4 factory highboy frame
2000 E350 7.3 Powerstroke engine (non-inter cooled) running a hydra Tune
1999 2 wheel drive s6-650 ZF 6 speed manual transmission
1976 f250 NP205 Divorced transfercase
1995 sterling 10.25 rear axle 3wide rear leaf conversion
1979 F250 dana44 HD (couldn’t find the D60 so 44 until then)
1979 F250 powers steering conversion
1999-03 F350 6.5 inch lift

I did not use a bodylift

I acquired the engine for Free from an rusted frame quigley 4x4 e350. The trans also got Free from a 1999 2wd f250 that a tree fell on. I stripped the e350 wiring harness completely down to essential wires to run the engine. I rebuilt completely the zf6 cause it had a busted 3-4 fork

I welded my own engine perches and trans crossmember for mounting. Custom length center driveshaft to the np205. The cab had to be “massaged” in small areas for clearance but not by much. The clutch set up is A 95 f250 hydraulic clutch master mounted to the firewall and the 99 slave.

It’s a tight fit but very possible if anyone is considering the swap.

I wanted to share this info because ive searched forums and have never got a straight answer from anyone regarding this type of swap.
all of my searches have come up short and ended with "it wont fit/work". If anyone searching for information on swapping a 7.3 powerstroke into a highboy comes across this post it is possible. Back the engine all the way up against the firewall, use a E series Fan, and mount it as low in the frame as possible it will fit. You must know basic/moderate electrical and must know or know someone who can weld. If you guys have any technical questions feel free to ask, im not always online here but if you have an instagram I have a lot of pics of the process on there @wpoliahu message me there also just mention you came from fordificaton. im also in the middle of doing a 6.0 zf6 speed swap into a 69 F100 4x4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BigIslandBump on Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BigIslandBump

Re: 7.3 powerstroke ZF6 speed swap using original 7 highboy frame

Post by BigIslandBump »

I’ll upload as many pics as I can
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BigIslandBump

Post by BigIslandBump »

I’ll try and get some detailed pics of the mounts
beejaytx225

Post by beejaytx225 »

I find it absolutely amazing what can be done when you put your mind to it. Pretty wicked setup :clap:
1968 F-100 Ranger LB
360 w/C6
Peacock Blue
Family nicknamed her "Bethany"
Central Texas
BigIslandBump

Post by BigIslandBump »

I’m also running the 7.3 evbp exhaust brake conversion
sparky72

Re: 7.3 powerstroke ZF6 speed swap using original 71 highboy frame

Post by sparky72 »

Wow, that is amazing. Thank you for sharing :thup:
Taylor
1972 F250 Ranger XLT 2wd / 8100 GVW / 390 / T18 / 3.73 D60
Big specht

Post by Big specht »

Looks good. As for the lift did you change anything in the frt to use the superduty springs? And what size tire s?
BigIslandBump

Post by BigIslandBump »

Big specht wrote:Looks good. As for the lift did you change anything in the frt to use the superduty springs? And what size tire s?
Running 37x13.5 Toyo MTs

I bought an extended rear shackle kit, it consisted of a 5 inch long shackle with the top half drilled for the original highboy boy And the bottom drilled for 99-03 super duty. The front hanger was drilled out to accept the superduty bolt. I had to take an 1/8th inch off the inside rivets of the front hanger and cut off the military wrap on the second leaf of the new spring.

Only after I cut the military wrap and installed it I found out that there’s a front hanger kit on eBay being sold that allows you to use the spring with out issues
Big specht

Post by Big specht »

Ok Thanks I didn’t know about the spring kit on eBay dot you have a side pick of your truck I’m curious about tire clearance with 37’s. I have a 69 2wd that I’m converting and have been looking for front spring ideas. I see you have cross over steering what box did you use ?
BigIslandBump

Post by BigIslandBump »

Big specht wrote:Ok Thanks I didn’t know about the spring kit on eBay dot you have a side pick of your truck I’m curious about tire clearance with 37’s. I have a 69 2wd that I’m converting and have been looking for front spring ideas. I see you have cross over steering what box did you use ?
The 37s clear with no rubbing issues full lock left to right and at full flex. They come close to the fender corners but never touch. I went with a 79 f250 4x4 steering box. Boxed and tubed the front left frame rail. I’m actually in the middle of going to high steer. Sky manufacturing has a cross over kit that works really well. They have everything you need from the pitman arm down to tie rods
Big specht

Post by Big specht »

We used there high steer on my brother 86 350 w/6” and it made a world of difference in how it handled well worth the money. Do you have any pics of how tight the front springs are in the stock hangers? I found the kit the guy is selling on eBay and it isn’t bad price for the weld up kit. But I want to keep the old school look and use the oem front hanger. What gearing are you running with the 37’s ? Thanks for all the info
BigIslandBump

Post by BigIslandBump »

Big specht wrote:We used there high steer on my brother 86 350 w/6” and it made a world of difference in how it handled well worth the money. Do you have any pics of how tight the front springs are in the stock hangers? I found the kit the guy is selling on eBay and it isn’t bad price for the weld up kit. But I want to keep the old school look and use the oem front hanger. What gearing are you running with the 37’s ? Thanks for all the info
I’ll try and get some good suspension pics. It’s tight but manageable.

I have 4.10 gears limited slip rear and a welded front diff.
The 4.10 combo with the tuned 7.3 pulls good for 37s. Launching from first low to second and it’ll still break the traction on asphalt
BigIslandBump

Post by BigIslandBump »

Here’s a few more shots of the truck
BigIslandBump

Post by BigIslandBump »

Suspension shots. Went over to Reid high steer orders from sky manufacturing
Big specht

Post by Big specht »

I was going to pm you but you must not have it set up. I’m looking for a close up pic of the clearance issue with the superduty springs in the oem bracket.