Is this Radiator/Fan setup any good?

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

UKPR1

Is this Radiator/Fan setup any good?

Post by UKPR1 »

Impulse buy from "Amazin". It's a 4 row aluminum, 2-12" fans each one moving about 1700 CFM of air and each drawing 12 amps.
61ZXE7t98hL._AC_SL1101_.jpg
The 1969 this is going on is in South FL (100 degrees yesterday), has a weepy lower tank or tubes (wet at the bottom tank and coolant level goes down slowly) and is missing the stock fan shroud. Finally got it started yesterday, and seemed to have no issues cooling sitting there in the driveway. So my questions are:

1. Is this a junk unit I'd be better of sending back (on my nickel which is only fair)?
2. Will it do a better job or worse job than what is in there now?
3. Came with a harness relay, temperature on/off switch and with 0 instructions - if worth keeping, does anyone have a what-goes-to-where guide?
4. My truck comes with AC (not functional right now but will be one day) and the condensor bolts to the non-fan side of the radiator. As these are fans that perhaps may not run 100% of the time (depending on the engine temp), will the condensor still be able to do it's job? So am I better off sticking with an engine driven fan which sucks air through the condensor/radiator at all temps and speeds?

Thanks for entertaining my question.

Geoff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Johnnewc

Re: Is this Radiator/Fan setup any good?

Post by Johnnewc »

My truck with a 302 has a aluminum radiator and fan shroud. I found a 7 blade fixed fan I use. As long as you have a clean radiator and a working thermostat you will be fine. On a over 100 degree day here in North Dakota (yes it does get that hot here) it ran at 190 idling in the heat and wouldn't get any hotter. Verified with a infrared temp gun. I use a 180 degree thermostat.
pcmdub

Post by pcmdub »

Geoff,

Hard to say, but Radiators are more a commodity than a unique item. Therefore, you get what you pay for, mostly. Few things that I would worry about with that radiator...with no prior experience and not trying to talk it down.
1. 4 row is great provided the rows are wide enough to move sufficient fluid, and the fins are not stopping air.
2. Being 4 row, and if it is wide enough, then it will be fairly thick.
3. Transmission cooler fittings are for hoses, you will need to adapt your hardlines if you plan to use this.
4. Buy a real radiator cap at 13lbs
Now your questions...
1. When you get it, open the cap and look inside with a strong flashlight. Coldcase Radiators come with huge 1.25" tubes, American Eagle come with 1", and then most other good models are around .75" to provide sufficient flow. With 4 rows and only 2.75" total depth, not sure but these have got to be fairly small. They do have 4 rows, but that may be too tight.
2. Probably will not make a huge difference to be honest. However, if you run a 180f thermo and high flow radiator, it could help if question #1 is good.
3. Easy to wire, they give you a cheap static thermostat you screw into the intake manifold. Then you wire the relay to the battery and it (hopefully) kicks on when it reaches 180f. The funny is that it only shuts off at 165f.....which is winter time. Also, if this cheap sensor or relay/fuse fail, then you overheat. So, you may want to have a thermostat in the cab that has real temp readings or a bright idiot light to warn you. Yes, this happens OFTEN with cheaper electronics.
4. Most run a separate relay from the AC compressor ground to kick the fans on when the AC is running. This really helps when you are at a stop or parked and want the AC to work.

Suggestions. If you do not go with this unit, look at Champion/American Eagle, or a ColdCase radiator. Then either leave the stock fan on there and find a shroud, or buy a Dorman Ford Taurus/Lincoln MkVIII fan and a good Derale thermostat and relay. Then you will run much cooler and safer.

Good luck
UKPR1

Post by UKPR1 »

Thanks for the advice, gentlemen.

PC: Hadn't seen the Cold Case brand before. Ordered one and should be here next week. Now I just need to source a shroud...fairly hard to come by!

Geoff
UKPR1

Post by UKPR1 »

Plumbed in the Cold Case yesterday and wow...what a difference! Thanks for the tip! Now to get rid of all that attention-grabbing-shiny-ness...

Geoff
pcmdub

Post by pcmdub »

UKPR1

Post by UKPR1 »

Who would have thunk...

Thanks!