Engine Rebuild Project

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

uscdog

Engine Rebuild Project

Post by uscdog »

Hello,

Long time no see!

I got a question for some of you motor heads out there.

I have a 1967 F-250 Camper Special with a 5.8L 352. All stock.

I'm thinking about a total rebuild. Possibly even an engine swap.

My goal is to tow a minimum 27" travel trailer and drive up and down the California Coast picking up on chicks.

I guess i'm looking at 15,000 lbs. Not the girls...the trailer.

Is a stock rebuild enough or should move up in class. I just rebuilt my transmission and it was running great until a spark plug fell apart into the engine.

Any ideas?
Ren

Re: Engine Rebuild Project

Post by Ren »

The two best improvements for these trucks is to cut off the gutter on the cab. And if so equipped, get rid of the FE engine when it dies.
I believe the '67 model came with front drum brakes. If you intend to haul any sort of weight at highway speeds safely, you need to very seriously consider upgrading the brakes.

You mentioned cruising the California coast. DO NOT go down the Cuesta Grade towards the San Luis Obispo side if you don't upgrade your brakes. Otherwise, warn me in advance so I can follow you to the bottom in order to pillage the remains of your misadventure.

The "Search" function in the upper RH corner of this site is a fantastic resource for information regarding anything at all you may want to do to your truck.
sparky72

Re: Engine Rebuild Project

Post by sparky72 »

You would probably be happier and in for less money if you rebuild a 460 and swap that in.
Taylor
1972 F250 Ranger XLT 2wd / 8100 GVW / 390 / T18 / 3.73 D60