Truck won't roll

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

mbloes

Truck won't roll

Post by mbloes »

I have a 69 F100, 302 with a C4 automatic transmission.

I started it up today, released the brake and put it in reverse and it would not move. It felt like something is locked up.
It shifts through the gears, giving back "pressure" in reverse, forward pressure in drive and relieving itself in neutral.
I tried revving it gently both in D and R, but I could tell the motor didn't like it.

It's parked on an incline and with the motor off, in neutral and brake off it just will not budge. It feels like I have the wheels blocked (but I don't).

Please help.
MAK
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Truck won't roll

Post by MAK »

How long has it been sitting? Sounds sort of like the brake drum shoes have locked up.
That’s happened a couple times on my 68 Cougar but it’s been after it’s sat for a long time.
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Can you move the vehicle around in drive and then shift through the gears?
mbloes

Post by mbloes »

The last time I drove it was 4 days ago so I don't think anything is frozen.

And no, it won't roll at all. It is parked on an incline. I can put it in neutral and release the brake and it just sits there. Which makes me think that either the rear end / dif is locked up or the output from the transmission. But I don't really know how transmissions work so it's hard for me to say.

This past week I installed a tach in it. But it's just 4 wires. Did I trip some lockout or something?
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

If you used your parking brake it's possible it didn't release.
Block the wheels and leave it in park and see if the cables are loose .
maybe the shoes got stuck try beating on the brake drums.
How steep of a incline is it parked on ?
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Try putting it in drive/reverse going the opposite direction of the incline. Give it some gas till you feel it pulling then work the brakes or engage the parking brake and pop it loose again. The goal being to take the tension off the beakes.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.