For Those Who Installed a Phenolic Carb Spacer...

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

UKPR1

For Those Who Installed a Phenolic Carb Spacer...

Post by UKPR1 »

...How did you plumb in the old rigid fuel line going to a carb that now sits an inch higher? (Yes - I'm keeping the existing base plate). Did you:

1. Make new rigid fuel line?
2. Cut and splice in a piece of rubber hose?
3. Pull and twist on the existing rigid fuel line and massage it to the new location?

Thanks. Just seeing what others have done.

Geoff
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: For Those Who Installed a Phenolic Carb Spacer...

Post by sargentrs »

Not my bump but on my '64 Fairlane I swapped to a Duraspark ignition and had massage the rigid fuel line to clear the larger cap. I just GENTLY straightened it out a bit and re-bent it to clear, effectively making it longer.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
UKPR1

Post by UKPR1 »

Thanks, Randy. I was hoping that was a possible option.

Geoff
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

sargentrs wrote:Not my bump but on my '64 Fairlane I swapped to a Duraspark ignition and had massage the rigid fuel line to clear the larger cap. I just GENTLY straightened it out a bit and re-bent it to clear, effectively making it longer.
:yt:

That's how I did mine for my spacer.......there's enough there to massage it to fit but as said gently is the key word.....
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
UKPR1

Post by UKPR1 »

Thanks, Ohio. Installed it today, choosing to install a non-heated base plate I had on top of the spacer and get rid of the heated one that was there. As you guys pointed out, it was possible to massage the rigid fuel line into its new location. Everything fuel-wise should work out. Looking at the linkage now: I'm taking this opportunity to eliminate the trapeze and install a single rod link, so I think that part is under control, but the issue I am having is with the kickdown rod. It's new higher location makes it want to kick back and stay back - a significant amount of force is needed to bring it forward again. What the go-to method for dealing with this? "Reprofile" (bend) the lever up? Or put the mother of all springs to get it to return forward?

Geoff
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

I would say a combination of both. The kickdown can be massaged to gain a little additional length, enough to allow you to use a lighter return spring than originally thought. That and adjustments at the modulator valve on the tranny could give you a reasonable shift point. Or extension kits are available. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-20-41
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
UKPR1

Post by UKPR1 »

Thanks, Randy. Should be able to cobble something together with that. Just ordered it.

Geoff
Jrod70250

Post by Jrod70250 »

Hey- so how well do these phenolic spacers work? I have been trying to figure a solution out for my heat soak issue.
UKPR1

Post by UKPR1 »

Oh gosh...for me, like a night and day difference. Weened myself off of ethanol gas a couple of weeks ago (temp still in the high 80's) and I can jump in after a short shutdown, turn the key and it start right up without any struggle at all - whereas before I'd have to crank for a while. Truth be told though, I did procure a non-heated carb baseplate to replace my heated one and stacked the phenolic spacer on that for a little extra height - plus I wanted to keep the valve cover venting functional.

Geoff
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Glad to hear - you got the same result as I did! And having access like I do - 90 octane no ethanol at Bellstores stations - really helped out on not only hot starts but I haven't had the carb get gummed up from setting in winter storage like happened with regular 87 octane the first rear I stored it! And I kept the heated spacer but made some stainless steel plugs to put in the hoses so it keeps the stock look without heating anything up...... :wink:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR