Camshaft ID Help!

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

CJ Perry

Camshaft ID Help!

Post by CJ Perry »

Hi all, some time ago I bought a 390 off my local classifieds, and after cracking it open found it's been previously rebuilt. .030 over with flat top pistons, and what seems to be an aftermarket cam. I measured the lobes at about .280/.295, as far as markings it has a few stamps: EP-19, with 16 underneath that, CWC on the opposite side between the last lobe and journal, C1 and D1 opposite each other between a couple of the lobes, as well as a W stamped into the rear of the last journal. There is also a yellow paint mark on the last journal. I'm just trying to build a good workhorse motor for my truck, it's not a strip vehicle or racer at all, so low end torque for towing and drivability are more important to me than high performance, although I wouldn't be mad about being able to smoke some tires :lol:. Good cam for my application if anyone can ID it or should I just pony up and buy a new one?

EDIT: After some googling the specs and markings seem consistent with a Melling MTF4 cam, or similar offered from other manufacturers. Anyone have experience with this thing or have better recommendations for a nice truck cam? Reading indicates the grind is pretty ancient compared to the modern day cams most companies offer, and that's it's sort of a dog in general.
My427stang
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Camshaft ID Help!

Post by My427stang »

I would absolutely call that am Melling MT4 or the many copies of the same built over the years. It's sort of a generic street grind from many resellers, lift checks, CWC is the cam core company, and makes sense all around

It's a good cam for a truck, pretty mild, basically the same cam as a Edelbrock Performer but spread to 112. Mild idle, with headers, a good intake and a recurve, would be a sweetheart but not too rowdy
71 F-100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4, 4 speed, 4 inch softride lift, all poly bushings, integral PS, most mods installed since the 80's
70 Mustang Sportsroof 489 FE, EFI, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11s
Engine building by-appointment only--30+ years, specializing in strong street pump gas FEs