Replacement seat cushion foam

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

bph

Replacement seat cushion foam

Post by bph »

Does anybody know a company that stocks replacement bench seat cusions specifically for 1967-1972 Ford pickups. I'm about to reupholster my bench seat and, while I''m sure that I could just stuff the bench and back covers with run of the mill foam, I would like a properly molded replacement cushions for these trucks, if possible.

Thanks for your suggestions.
The Bandit

Re: Replacement seat cushion foam

Post by The Bandit »

67-72 truck seats didn't have molded foam under the seat covers. When I redid mine myself I went to the local fabric shop and got all my foam from them along with the covering that goes over the springs to keep the foam from cutting itself on the springs and pushing through them. 73 and up seats I believe had the molded foam but you have to use the seat frame as well which is fine as they will bolt right in. Some say they sit better than 67-72 seats.
"Don't believe everything you see and read on the internet." Abe Lincoln
1972 F100 custom SWB 302/C4 Auto PS No AC Wimbledon white and rusty..
68fe360

Post by 68fe360 »

What was used in 67-72 seats?
The Bandit

Post by The Bandit »

68fe360 wrote:What was used in 67-72 seats?
67 -72 seats had a steel tubed frame with spring supported seating area. Then they placed a burlap material over the springs to keep the springs from eating into the foam. They then took flat foam approximately 1.5" thick and laid it over the burlap material with a 1/4" thick polyester like material on top of the foam so the seat covering material could lay on top of it and move around some while it gets hogged ringed to the seat frame.
73 and up changed to a steel framed and molded foam under the seat covering material.
"Don't believe everything you see and read on the internet." Abe Lincoln
1972 F100 custom SWB 302/C4 Auto PS No AC Wimbledon white and rusty..
68fe360

Post by 68fe360 »

Perfect! Thank you very much. Now I can restore my seat. I prefer to keep the original. I prefer the bench seat, but have seen newer bench seats installed that I did not like. They never seem to fit the style of the truck.

That upper polyester material would be batting. I have used it when restoring chairs. I just never attempted to restore this style of bench seat before. Your description of it's construction was good enough for me to identify the techniques to use. :thup:

Will
dave1972

Post by dave1972 »

An OBS bench seat fits right to the adjuster track in our pickups with holes drilled. Its a big upgrade. Got mine reupholstered to match the period and no one can tell its not original.
91Bear
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by 91Bear »

What is OBS?
dave1972

Post by dave1972 »

OBS stands for old body style. 93-97 ford pickups. I'm not sure what the seat springs and foam are like from 80-92 but the seat frame would probably fit our pickups.