Engine Bay Cleaner, Simple Green, Dawn, or something else?

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

HOWDY69
Preferred User
Preferred User

Engine Bay Cleaner, Simple Green, Dawn, or something else?

Post by HOWDY69 »

Step one of my new years resolution is to clean the engine bay. It isn't too thick just dust and general grime. What is your preferred cleaner?
69 F250, FE Specialties 410, CJ Valves, RPM Intake, Holley 4150,......10 Smiles per gallon
71 Clydesdale in many pieces; 302 roller motor waiting impatiently
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Engine Bay Cleaner, Simple Green, Dawn, or something else?

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

I used Dawn dish soap, a sponge, and a toothbrush.......took a little time but came out fantastic and didn't scratch up anything so all I had to do then was hit it with polishing compound to shine everything back up........
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by 390FE1972 »

I used Dawn as well, it works great. I also had to used a putty knife to scrape off the heavy grease build up. Once I got my engine bay cleaned up and painted, I followed this Youtube by Chris Fix to detail it after it got dirty, it made it look like a new engine bay.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=PRSoRkM8GcM

Regards :thup:
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
fastEdsel
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by fastEdsel »

We clean the fronts, and actually all over, on the radial engines of our crop dusters with WD40 and Purple Cleaner. Spray a generous dose of Purple Cleaner and wait five minutes or so. Then spray it down with the WD40. The surfaces will turn milky white then use warm pressure washer working left to right from the bottom up and the cleaning will be amazing. It works for us. The prop grease and 25/60 engine oil that can come off the prop hub on these R985 Pratt & Whitney engines can be quite annoying but I have also used this on my FE's with much success. Try not to get any Purple Cleaner on exterior paint as it will streak that's why we work from the bottom up, side to side. Purple Cleaner also works great for brake dust on wheel rims and white walls but apply it to a dry surface first, wait a couple minutes then pressure wash it off. I like Dawn soap and will definately try that also. :thup:
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

That purple cleaner is great stuff but like you said it will screw up paint......I get some at the machine shop I work in but I never use it around painted surfaces.......I have found continued use will end up stripping the paint....... :eek:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR