Transmission Fluid flush and change

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Not Pijus

Transmission Fluid flush and change

Post by Not Pijus »

I've got an automatic transmission in my 67 F100 with a PFB A designation and fourteen bolts on the pan. I've added some Seafoam transmission fluid cleaner and am ready to drain the case but don't know how. I've got a dozen quarts of fresh Type F ready to go, what's my next step? I've heard that I need to drop the pan and replace the filter but it only contains about four quarts and I'll need to disconnect a pipe and let the transmission pump the rest out. What pipe are we talking about? I can identify some water pipes going to block and lower radiator hose on the side closer to the front and I see different small pipes on both driver and passenger sides near the driveshaft on the rear of the transmission. Besides being awfully dirty and greasy with 53 years of grime, what am I looking at and how do i flush this beast? I was experiencing some sluggish shifting from 2nd to 3rd when cold and an occasional slip from park to reverse.
Thanks,
William
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pcmdub

Re: Transmission Fluid flush and change

Post by pcmdub »

William,

You have a C6 Transmission, fairly common for your truck. Original pan does NOT have a drain plug, and many of the aftermarket models WITH a plug are so thin, not worth it. I welded a bung and plug onto a thick stock-type pan to make it easier.

The pan carries 6 and the torque converter holds onto 6 quarts. Drop the pan and replace the filter directly above the pan. If you want the other 6 quarts, you open the inspection cover on the lower half of the bell and check if you have a drain plug on the torque converter. I do not suggest running the engine, pump, etc. without no oil in the transmission. Asking for bad news.

I think most people just change half the oil on a regular basis. You could change it now, and then again in 100 miles. Granted, you won't change it all, but it will work itself out.

While the shifts will firm up a little, but not sure the slipping out of park is a fluid issue. Usually in your column shift selector plate.

Good luck.
Not Pijus

Post by Not Pijus »

Hey pcmdub,
Thanks, I'll do it. Appreciate the quick response.
w
pcmdub

Post by pcmdub »

William,

No problem. Good luck. Buy a Lubelocker gasket to reseal the pan after you are all done. Torque the 14 bolts in a cross pattern to 80-100 INCH *not foot* pounds.. If you have the original pan, put the pan on a solid surface and try to pound the bolt holes back to flat (probably volcano'd from the way it was bolted together for years).

Good luck and ask more questions if you get stuck.