Rear Dana 60 size and proper U bolts

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

mnlamont

Rear Dana 60 size and proper U bolts

Post by mnlamont »

Hey everyone, I am going to be swapping out the rear end on my 1970 F250. Just swapping for a different gear ratio. My U bolts are rusted solid so I need to cut them off. Does anyone know the correct size U bolts, specifically the diameter of the “U” and for that matter the actual diameter of the Dana 60 rear axle? I’m assuming they are supposed to be a little bit larger than the actual axle diameter. Thanks!
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Rear Dana 60 size and proper U bolts

Post by basketcase0302 »

Not real sure on the diameter but if you're anywhere near any major city you'll usually find a "spring and axle" shop that rebuilds old leaf spring sets, (and build new spring sets) for most trucks. They should be able to make the new ones for you, (I had some made for my 76' Early Bronco this way) based on the spring plate and measuring or taking them the old one.
Google "local spring and axle shop near me" and give them a call.
Not real sure if the pic will help or not?

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
DuckRyder

Re: Rear Dana 60 size and proper U bolts

Post by DuckRyder »

Eaton Detroit spring can make you the U bolts.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper