Park / Emergency Brake CABLES 1969

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

yellercat

Park / Emergency Brake CABLES 1969

Post by yellercat »

Hey Guys,
Coming along on the 69' rebuild and trying to finish up the brakes.
Ran into a snag on sourcing one of the rear ebrake cables, the passenger side, its totally inoperative. The front and driver side cables work fine and will be reused. This truck has the Heavy Duty rear drum brakes on the rear, (it is front disc) Not sure that HD makes any difference on the park brake cables though.
Anyone have a source for this 1969 Rear Passenger Park brake cable ? Gone thru all my regular vendors and came up empty. Would consider a working used piece favorably too !
1970 F100 302 C-4 factory air
Johnnewc

Re: Park / Emergency Brake CABLES 1969

Post by Johnnewc »

Hello I'm actually planning on replacing my parking brake cables this weekend. I also have a 1969 f100 with the heavy duty drums all the way around. I'm replacing the two rear cables. I bought mine at Autozone. I'll let you know how it goes when I'm done.
yellercat

Post by yellercat »

Hey John, thanks for that. Looks like I failed to mention that my truck is a 3/4 ton and apparently that does make a difference as I am not finding that cable anywhere! It is 72.5 " long and for the 'right' side.
Good luck with your replacements. Redoing my rear drums too. :thup:
Johnnewc

Post by Johnnewc »

My brake cable replacement went well and they fit. They have some slack in them a little more than the old ones. I wonder if you could buy one at the parts store for a 1/2 ton and just see if they fit. If not you could always return them. Just an idea.
yellercat

Post by yellercat »

What I have done for the present time is to repair the damaged portion of the cable.
Cut away the frayed and damaged outer protective windings and straightened the cable until it would move freely.
Then placed a stiff hose around the area and wrapped it with electrical tape and secured the ends over the good outer original wrapping wires and added two loosely clamped hose clamps. It seems to move freely and this allows me to finish the rear brake job and get it back on it s wheels.
Will see how it works out and keep an eye for my specific part number.
Seems as though the length is the critical factor and I do not see any that are exactly 72.5 " like I need.
thanks for your replies and glad yours went smoothly ! :thup:
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Wes »

I needed longer cables after a lift, and mine were butchered by Po. I went to the pick and pull and tried to find some that would work I struck out. What I ended up doing was sending mine to Inline Tube, they said they would make new from mine. Turns out they had the engineering drawings for the cables. Seems Inline Tube was the OEM sub contractor for at least 67. Wasn't expensive and only two weeks there and back. This was some years ago, so check with them if you decide to go that direction.
Wes

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10402
67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)
yellercat

Post by yellercat »

Hey Wes, that is very interesting. Used them for the brake line and fittings.
Going to see how my temp fix performs with driving after initial start up and then may check into this information if my fix fails - which it may.....
Seems to work ok in the garage, but you know how that goes. Driving and actual usage may be a different story.
Thanks for the info ! :thup:
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

Years ago I had my '67 rear cable re-made by a local rigging company (they typically made haul cables for logging and cranes). I think it was $20.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.