What are your must-haves for taking a bump on a roadtrip?

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

JDunk

What are your must-haves for taking a bump on a roadtrip?

Post by JDunk »

My 67 F100 with a 352 has long been a highway/around town cruiser for me and has not seen many interstate miles during my ownership.
However, I just got a summer internship across the country and am highly considering taking my truck. I will say, my truck is frustrating to drive above 60. The despite having a supposedly rebuilt power steering box and new steering linkages, the steering is sloppy. Kingpins are on my to-do list of repairs.

If you were taking your bump across the country, what are some of the things that you would do to prep it for the drive? Or would you even be willing to take the drive? :lol:
*insert cool quote here*
Johnnewc

Re: What are your must-haves for taking a bump on a roadtrip?

Post by Johnnewc »

I take my 1969 f100 on 300 mile trips around North Dakota. The engine and trans are rebuilt and the brakes are new. I still run points. I carry two brand new sets of points and condensers. I also carry a new distributor cap and rotor. I keep a brand new fan belt behind the seat. I have locking gas caps on the truck because people are dumb. I have a little tool box with the basic tools in it. The front suspension on mine is probably in similar condition to yours. I drive 60mph max speed because you really have no business driving these much faster when the front suspension is worn out. So I guess you should take a couple of steps back and take a long look at your truck and think to yourself what would probably break next. It will break down on this trip or at your destination. You need to decide if you will have the resources to fix it on the road or in this new town you are going to. Tow trucks are not cheap. You will be driving at 1960s speeds so your trip will be long. But hey they sure are fun trucks.
ok68crewcab
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by ok68crewcab »

My big trips are still less than 100 miles but I carry:
- points and condenser
- extra fan belt
- gallon of water
- kept the old radiator hose that I replaced
- assortment of tools
- jumper cables
2 Blessed 2 Be Stressed
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

BC #16 had two bedside aluminum semi style big tool boxes under the aluminum flat bed.
Both of those boxes would be crammed full every time I left the county I lived in!
But i did the same thing with my $50K airboat even when it was brand new.

Old habits are hard to stop, (Boy Scout thing bout' "always being prepared" for the Murphy Law stuff)! :lol:

But at least:
1) one container of all fluids, (oil/coolant/tranny fluid/brake fluid).
2) four way lug wrench / five extra lug nuts and decent floor jack (no bumper jacks on our trucks)!
3) spare ignition (I had Petronix so i kept a spare set of points and condenser for emergency)
4) Good spare cardboard /rug / drop cloth to lay on for wet ground is handy (toss it behind the seat)
5) Some kind of spot light for roadside nighttime emergency, (I had a 12 volt plug in with a 20' cord on it).
6) Tools to include full SAE socket set/combo wrench set/volt ohm meter /
7) One each of the hose clamps used on your engine and fuel piping
8) One each of every light bulb used in the truck( headlight/parking/brake/instrument panel/interior)
9) Siphon hose / 15' section of rubber 3/8" fuel hose, (and spare gas can-think fuel tank issue having to run an emergency tank to get the truck home)!

And highly suggest a good set of MECHANICAL GAUGES (in lieu of the dash "idiot lights") for any long trip like this as if you start losing oil pressure or any engine high temp incident you need to shut it down so you can repair or get it towed BEFORE YOU BLOW THE ENGINE!

You only live once! I say do it/be safe/start a thread here to update us (or update this thread)
AND ENJOY THE SMILES AND WAVES AS FOLKS PASS OR SEE YOU IN THE BUMP! :fr: :woohoo: :drive:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
two-bit
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by two-bit »

I would have driven my F-100 anywhere.
Extra parts as others have mentioned. A really good tool kit. (Sockets, wrenches, vice grips, pliers, and what not.)
Don't plan on getting there fast. Plan on getting there. Extra fluids a must. Bring an extra 5 gallons of gas too ! FE does not stand for "Fuel Economy".
I would guess you have the "old twin I beam wander", 1/3 of a turn on the steering wheel before the tires react ?
I drove that for years. Just learned it. Above 60 mph it can get annoying. So most times i just drove 55. Right hand lane and took my time.
Most important, how well do you know your truck ? Squeaks, rattles and what not. Know what they are ?
Don't think of this as a drive across the country, think of it as an adventure. Thinking on your feet and making it work with what you have is a must.
If you choose to do it. Before you go, check everything rubber. Change the major fluids. Engine, trans, diff. Check the u-joints, pull the brake drums and peek at the (rear)axle seals, (front) wheel bearings, wheel cylinders and brake hardware. Set your self up with two spare tires already mounted on rims. A good jack with a chunk of good plywood to put it on. (Roadside gravel never plays well with jacks).
Engine tune up. Plugs/wires/hat/spinner/points/condenser. Check it all over. Fuel filter... bring two. A bad tank of fuel can RUIN your day on the side of the road. You may use up your fuel filters in the process, but odds are you will get somewhere to fix it.
Can't cover everything here.
The end decision is yours. What ever you decide. Best of luck to you.
Two-bit
Living life full throttle on the North Coast of America!!!

72' F-350, DRW, 360, NP435, Dana 70, 159" WB, P.S., P.B., 12' flatbed, 10,000 GVW.
FLASH 1

Post by FLASH 1 »

Here is what we carry in our Rollback,, 5 gallons of anti-freeze, gallon of Transmission Oil, rear End Diff Gear Oil, Belts, All Radiator Hoses, Clamps, Turbo Hoses and Clamps, Spare Lights, Starter, Alternator, Water Pump, Clutch Fan Assembly, Thermostat, some minor switches, Power Window Motors, Heater Fan Assembly, Spare Tire

Now be sure you have tools,, we carry 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" sets all wrenches, impact tools, sawz-all cutting tools, jacks, flashlights Honda Generator,,
Now that is some extreme but place we go there is no shops/parts houses maybe for 150-200 miles

also bring plenty of water and snacks, if winter Blankets, extra shoes/socks,, have to be ready for anything
Tom, where Ford Trucks Rule
1956 Big Window
1964 F-750 Flat Bed
1965 M-100 Mercury
1966 M-350 Mercury
1966 F350 Wrecker
1972 F-350 Crew Cab
1997 F-450 7.3 with 85,000 original miles
2006 F-150 Crew Cab
2008 F-650 Crew Cab Roll Back 6.7 Cummins
2020 Flat Top Peterbilt Roll Back PX-7 Engine
and 2 cars 1968 XLT and 2017 Mustang
Terry Veiga

Post by Terry Veiga »

...in addition to everything else, add the following:

1. Duct tape
2. Fire Extinguisher
3. Cell phone
4. AAA card
5. Credit card
Last edited by Terry Veiga on Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
TERRY : 1972 F100 Ranger XLT SWB
2WD, 429/C6, A/C, P/S, P/Disc
In His Holy Name
1972hiboy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1972hiboy »

Alot of great ideas here. When I have the cabover camper on the truck I tend to over pack. A two night dry camping stay results in me packing the camper like I am going on an African safari for 6 months. I have been known to strategically hide an alternator, starter and new voltage regulator in the bathroom cupboard under the towels. The girlfriend was not amused.
Rich
1973 f350 super c/s 460/c6 22k orig miles
1972 f350 srw crewcab special 390
1972 f250 4x4 sport custom 390fe Red
1972 f250 4x4 custom 360 FE " Ranger Ric"
1972 f250 4x4 custom 84k og miles 390
1971 f250 4x4 sport custom 56k og miles. 360
1970 f250 4x4 428 fe hp60 205 d60
Dont eat yellow snow.....
DisneysPatB
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by DisneysPatB »

1972hiboy wrote:Alot of great ideas here. When I have the cabover camper on the truck I tend to over pack. A two night dry camping stay results in me packing the camper like I am going on an African safari for 6 months. I have been known to strategically hide an alternator, starter and new voltage regulator in the bathroom cupboard under the towels. The girlfriend was not amused.
:-D :thup: :lol:
1970 F250 460 C6 - Project - Currently not running.
1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4 x 4 5.9 Magnum -not running.
1999 Toyota Corolla - Daily Driver.

https://fordification.com/forum/app.php ... y/album/43
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

Good suggestions above.

1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" sockets; pliers, wirecutters, vice grips, screwdrivers;
Spares for most of the lamps, including a spare headlight;
Spare wiring, connectors, duct tape, hose clamps, fluids;
Spare ignition parts, including points, condenser, rotor and cap
spare water pump, alternator, fuel pump and starter
Spare fan belt(s), fuel filter, some fuel line
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
ToughOldFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by ToughOldFord »

Credit card with cash back on gas purchases. You'll be poor and rich at the same time.
1969 F250 Ranger Camper Special. 390, NP435, 3:73s.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. -Thomas Jefferson
sparky72

Post by sparky72 »

No need to pack a spare starter if you have a manual and always park on a decline :wink:
Taylor
1972 F250 Ranger XLT 2wd / 8100 GVW / 390 / T18 / 3.73 D60
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

My Dad suggested I bring the title.
In case it doesn't make the trip.

B T W It always made it home.
Terry Veiga

Post by Terry Veiga »

Metric crescent wrench
TERRY : 1972 F100 Ranger XLT SWB
2WD, 429/C6, A/C, P/S, P/Disc
In His Holy Name
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

cep62 wrote:My Dad suggested I bring the title.
In case it doesn't make the trip.

B T W It always made it home.
I'm 56 and he STILL tells me that....... :roll:

And my vehicles always make it home too....I think it pisses him off because they always do....with some of the junk I've driven long distance I've been surprised a few times.... :lol:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR