What tires are good?

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

What tires are good?

Post by jzjames »

Ive been running Bridgestone Dueller ATs on my truck for 20 years, and now they are discontinued.
I bought a pair of Wranglers from Walmart and they lasted like 2 years.

What’s a good tire now, hope theyre not ALL junk. :doh:
Raiver

Re: What tires are good?

Post by Raiver »

jzjames wrote:Ive been running Bridgestone Dueller ATs on my truck for 20 years, and now they are discontinued.
I bought a pair of Wranglers from Walmart and they lasted like 2 years.

What’s a good tire now, hope theyre not ALL junk. :doh:
What have you decided on for a new tire? Wranglers' are not very impressive lately around here.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

I've been running Cooper and Mastercraft tires and have had good results with them.......used to run Firestones but seems the wear life on them went downhill and WILL NOT own a set of Goodyear's if someone gave them to me......I don't know what they have done but they were junk 20 years ago and haven't seen any improvement from guys I've talked to that have had them since........my :2cents: on that......
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
cash667

Post by cash667 »

I‘m running Toyo Open Country AT+ on my F250.
Affordable allrounder, I think it‘s got some good reviews from the adventure travel scene. I know a few guys running them on their landrovers.
I‘m also happy with that tire.
1968 Mercury Cougar 302
1968 Ford F250 Camper Special 429
Johnnewc

Post by Johnnewc »

I've got some 12 yr old wildcat touring SLT tires on my truck. They are 235/75/r15 tires that are a tad too tall and rub with the stock wheels. Overall good tires that are best suited for highway use in my opinion. Are you looking for a stock tire size?
Raiver

Post by Raiver »

Ohiotinkerer wrote:I've been running Cooper and Mastercraft tires and have had good results with them.......used to run Firestones but seems the wear life on them went downhill and WILL NOT own a set of Goodyear's if someone gave them to me......I don't know what they have done but they were junk 20 years ago and haven't seen any improvement from guys I've talked to that have had them since........my :2cents: on that......
Cooper's are great tires indeed! What happened to Goodyear is somehow disappointing.
jimmy828
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jimmy828 »

put a set of Coopers on my 69 but haven't had them on long enough to give a review. Have heard good about them from different people so that's what i went with. Time will tell.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fordkid68
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Fordkid68 »

BFGoodrich are really good. A buddy of mine had BFG All-terrains on his F150, and he put over 70,000 miles on them! They are not cheap but you get what you pay for.
Also, do not get tires from Walmart. Even though it may be a good brand, they make them cheaper and junkier than normal, just to make it sell cheap.
So just because a tire from Walmart is bad, doesn't mean that the brand is bad. Just get the tire somewhere else.
Adam

My first truck,
1968 F100 lwb 2wd soon to have a 351w, 5-speed
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 15#p771357
^^Build Thread^^
04 Subaru Outback (daily driver), with a 2.5l boxer H4
(no other projects, YET!)
"Might be crazy but I ain't dumb"!
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Wes »

Cooper Discovery AT3 are great tires, have a set on 32' class A motor home. Rv dry camps in the desert a lot, dirt road all over Johnson Valley.
I have had 2 sets on buggy that has 1000's miles over ruff trails, sharp rocks, no cuts or chunking of tread. Not so good in loose sand(dune)

Nitto Terra Grappler's are are great tires. Have a set on K20 burb, tows buggy, never locked in 4wd yet never gotten stuck towing in some trials to camps.
I have always wanted to try General Grabbers, but they are always out when I am tire shopping.

My Hiboy has hummer take offs, I wouldn't recommend those. Most are a decade old now and they are stiff as can be. maybe getting a new set soon.
Wes

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10402
67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)