Small Paint Job

Moderator: FORDification

Johnnewc

Small Paint Job

Post by Johnnewc »

Hello everyone. I was lucky enough to locate in a salvage yard an in-bed cover for the auxiliary fuel tank filler neck its in great shape no rust. Now the problem. The part is white and my truck bed color is New Lime. I would like to paint it to match the color of the bed. Do anyone have any experience with using aerosol paint in a spray can ordered online to paint small pieces such as this? I've found a website that sells the paint color in a can and it is $32 dollars for a 12oz can. I'm okay with the price and I'm really not looking to buy a quart of paint or anything because the truck actually still has 90% of its original paint. It also mentions that the paint is single stage mix only on the website. My plan is to bring it down to bare metal and then rub it down with acetone then prime it with a rustoleum primer then use this aerosol paint. Do I need a clear coat on this paint?
jimmy828
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Small Paint Job

Post by jimmy828 »

in the past years i had started to clear coat almost everything i paint. I believe it helps from scratching so easy.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Try taking a small piece of sheet metal to use as a test first, (paint it and hold it up against your bed for comparison).
Well worth the aggravation, (and congrats on the score that's a hard to find part for our bumps)! :thup:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

Two things
1) I wouldn't put automotive paint over rust oleum without trying a test panel first.
There are automotive primers in spraycans.
2) are there any local paint stores / bodyshops that do aerosol paint cans .
that way you can test the paint color and tint it if needed before it goes into the can.
Raiver

Post by Raiver »

cep62 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:40 pm Two things
1) I wouldn't put automotive paint over rust oleum without trying a test panel first.
There are automotive primers in spraycans.
2) are there any local paint stores / bodyshops that do aerosol paint cans .
that way you can test the paint color and tint it if needed before it goes into the can.
Ok, we might try the second option after the installation of the new set of tires from 4Wheelonline onto my friend's '68. Good thing there's a good paint shop nearby that is doing great at color matching.