3 Speed Help

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Mitchell67f100

3 Speed Help

Post by Mitchell67f100 »

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping some of you experts might be able to give me some suggestions with rebuilding/refreshing my 3 speed out of my 67 F100 with column shift.
I'm starting to do some work on my truck and going to start with fixing the leaks in the transmission seal, the 9" seal and new Ujoints.
I'm by no means a mechanic but when I know what I'm doing i can complete most jobs....I just don't have much experience to know what I'm doing :lol:

I removed the drive shaft and Tranny pretty easily, and after removing a few pounds of grease and grime off the tranny i opened it up and took some pics. From what i can see it looks OK inside...everything moves as it should(i think) and no damage i can see, just some slightly dirty fluid.

So my question:
What would you guys recommend while its out of the truck? should i just replace gaskets/seals new fluid, or should i go more in depth? Should i flush any remaining dirty fluid? Is there any benefit to painting it while its out?

Also anything unrelated i should be doing while going through this process?

Sorry for all newbie questions....i appreciate any help you guys may have and always love reading the forums and learning from all your experience.

Thanks again. :fr:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jimmy828
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 3 Speed Help

Post by jimmy828 »

I'm not no experienced mechanic either but i will give anything a try. I got to do some seal repairs on my 303 trans also. Maybe i can pick up on some tips while you are doing yours. I just dread doing the work. Hope you post pics as you go. Good luck :fr:
Mitchell67f100

Post by Mitchell67f100 »

Sounds good Jimmy!

I'll try and post some pics and let you know how it go's.
Red Mercury

Post by Red Mercury »

I am also wanting to do the same to the 3-speed in my 67 Mercury. I know one of the synchronizers hasn't worked right for years so I would like to go through the transmission and freshen it up. I believe a kit is available that includes gaskets, seals, synchronizers, & bearings.