Transmission Cooling Lines - C4

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

crazzmc

Transmission Cooling Lines - C4

Post by crazzmc »

I got a new radiator and it came with different fittings for my tranny oil lines. It came with a hose barb fitting where my previous one was hardlined with inserts (most likely 1/2). The thread is also smaller looks like 3/8-24. So I have a few questions.

1) Can I run braided hoses with hose barb fittings?
2) If I can't run soft line with barbs can I run 3/16 brake line instead of the larger (most likely 1/2) whatever it is currently?
3) Does it matter which side goes to the tranny. Tranny has a front and a back and radiator left (closest to radiator hose) and right.

I guess regardless if I step down to 3/16 or keep the same lines I'll need adapters either a male/female 1/2 -> 3/8-24.

Thanks for the guidance!
Figuring out this whole restoring process with my 68' F100.
Wes
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Transmission Cooling Lines - C4

Post by Wes »

If the cooler vertical you want the outlet at the top and inlet at the bottom. this will keep air bubbles from being trapped in the cooler. If you add an external cooler, run the top outlet from rad to bottom of external and top outlet back to trans.
If the cooler is horizontal in the bottom of the rad is not critical.Just want the hot oil to through internal cooler before going through external.
I would not down size the cooler lines. Yes you can use braided line on the barb. There is nothing wrong with using Power steering return line.
Wes

http://www.fordification.com/galleries/ ... ?cat=10402
67 F250 High boy
69 Bronco

If you can't see fit to stand behind Our Troops...Please stand in front of them :)
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Transmission Cooling Lines - C4

Post by cep62 »

You'll want 5/16 line not 3/16.
An easy way to tell steel line ( and bolts ) is to use an open end wrench and slide it over .

You can get a rubber line suitable for transmissions , but I would only use short pieces
it's better to use steel , and flare or compression fittings.

Your 3/8 24 thread is probably a 1/4 pipe thread they have a tapered end for a tight fit.