Cab and box installation

Moderator: FORDification

Blue_Streak

Cab and box installation

Post by Blue_Streak »

So, I haven't been here in a while. This covid thing has prevented me from getting parts reasonably and there has just been a lot of other things to do.

I'm not a mechanic , gearhead , or body man but have taken on this project to learn to do by doing. Frame off restomod on a '67 longbox. Changing my old base model into a Ranger complete with a bunch of the new lower trim and wheel well trim.

I've gotten the cab and box back from the body shop and they said now its my turn to do work. Learn to do by doing also helps me keep the costs down. I am putting the truck back together so I can line up the new trim , drill holes for the brackets and hopefully maybe drill some small dowel holes so that when final installation comes around then everything will be a lot easier and less time consuming to line up in its proper spot after paint.

So, my questions are to those that have done this before and may have ideas and tricks of how to get this done. I've got the cab on but have no real idea how to get it aligned and square to the frame. I need the cab square so I can use it as a datum for the box , fenders , core support , etc.
How the heck do you get things square? I've thought about getting the front of the cab square by using the outer small holes on the cab support and a plum bob to get a straight line down to the floor and then shifting the cab so I'm equidistant from the frame to straight line on both sides. how does the back get lined up? What about the box? Is it just a matter of shifting it around until the gaps are all equal in relation to the cab? Same goes for the core support and fenders. I'm sure I will have a lot more questions.

I appreciate anyone that could give me an idea how to get all this done. Thanks
jimmy828
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Cab and box installation

Post by jimmy828 »

When i assembled my 69 i notice the cab did not have much room to move around from left to right or forward to rear. The box and core support had a little room to adjust. I did use shims under certain corners of cab, box, and core support. I did a lot of eyeballing trying to get things right. I especially want to make sure the bump from front to rear aligned well so it would help make side trim look good. I did start with the cab then the bed. Once i got it drivable i would notice i would be off in areas and i would adjust as needed. Think i got it as good as it will get. It was my first time doing a complete truck Was not very hard, just a lot of tweaking. Remember, shims, shims, shims :fr:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blue_Streak

Re: Cab and box installation

Post by Blue_Streak »

Nice truck. Mine will be the same colour only a '67 long box with lower trim.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it