Battery Ghost Drain????

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

javamanxxx

Battery Ghost Drain????

Post by javamanxxx »

Could someone point me to the right direction so I can read up about the best/proper way to find/hunt down a slow electrical drain on my battery? My 1971 F-100 has had the power drain for a while. Have to keep the truck on a trickle charger when not driving it every day or so. Battery is good ,wiring is tight, as in not to mucked up over the years......Thanks
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Battery Ghost Drain????

Post by jzjames »

When Ive had the battery drain from time to time it has led to a radio with something or other. Radio didnt shut down, or the radio memory function. It had a handmedown radio in it.
cash667

Post by cash667 »

javamanxxx wrote:Could someone point me to the right direction so I can read up about the best/proper way to find/hunt down a slow electrical drain on my battery? My 1971 F-100 has had the power drain for a while. Have to keep the truck on a trickle charger when not driving it every day or so. Battery is good ,wiring is tight, as in not to mucked up over the years......Thanks

If you have a multimeter/VOM it´s possible to measure if something is draining your battery:
measure battery drain.jpg
set the multimeter to DC amps reading, start with most highest reading range and go down step by step until you see some readings. I would expect something in the two digit milli amps range.
When doing that test DO NOT switch on the ignition or other other things (radio, headlights,...) since this would draw to much amps and could kill your multimeter.
Leave the ignition switch in off position and make sure that everything else is off too!

If you have a reading on the multimeter you know that something is drawing power from the battery. Now start to remove fuses from the fuseblock step by step. After every fuse take a look on the multimeter, if it went to 0 you know what circuit ist draining the battery and you´ll be able to narrow it more and more down.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1968 Mercury Cougar 302
1968 Ford F250 Camper Special 429
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Good replies above.
Also an old skool trick is to pull all the fuses and disconnect the battery positive. Go back out at dark, (under hood needs to be somewhat in the dark working with a flashlight) and put the fuses back in one at a time and each time put the positive cable back on. When you see the cable arc it's a dead giveaway of the source.

Also keep in mine our older radios had a condensor installed for noise suppression that will always cause an arc, (a slight drain or pull to charge).
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

I had a intermittent drain. one time , it turned out to be the ign switch wouldn't always shut off.
I got lucky once and noticed the weak battery before I turned the key .
so I caught it in the act.