Upper steering column bearing

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

alvald83

Upper steering column bearing

Post by alvald83 »

I have a question regarding the upper steering column bearing. I am starting to get an occasional grinding noise in my column. It sounds like it could be the upper bearing. My question is it possible to grease it in place or do i have to pull the column. I understand replacing both bearings would be ideal, but i was hoping to just grease the upper bearing and hope for the best. How difficult is it to remove the column and replace both bearings?
Thanks for your input. Al
jimmy828
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Upper steering column bearing

Post by jimmy828 »

The top bearing would be easy. The lower bearing would be a PITA. If you have replacement parts on hand the job can be done in a day. I recently had mine out doing a power steering swap. I did find out that the steering shaft can be removed from column from under hood side but still have to loosen bolts on column brace so the column will have wiggle room. Should not have to mess with the shift tube but would disconnect the shift rods from column. Once rag joint and steering wheel is off it's all wiggle and jiggle from there. On a scale from 1-10 i give it a 6 just for the aggravation of working around other things to get job done.
alvald83

Re: Upper steering column bearing

Post by alvald83 »

Thanks for the info. Ill try to tackle this very soon.