Scarebird disc conversation 1968 F100

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

rfp23

Scarebird disc conversation 1968 F100

Post by rfp23 »

Finally got around to installing the Scarebird disc brake conversion to my 1968 F100. Other than the difficulty removing the old drums (should have used heat immediately), the conversation is straightforward. I did use Earl brake hoses in lieu of the ones Scarebird recommended.

After “massaging” the new calipers per the instructions (really just grinding off the pointed ends), my original wheels would still not clear the calipers without rubbing. So, I installed 1/2” spacers behind the original rims (1/4” would not clear).

The brakes are now Fantastic. From my experience, I can definitely recommend this conversation.
Rubber side down, RFP23
oleblue

Re: Scarebird disc conversation 1968 F100

Post by oleblue »

Good to hear it worked out for you. I’d love to see some pictures of the conversion. It certainly sounds like a simpler conversion than any other method, including using a dent side donor, since you don’t have to change the spindles out of touch the steering at all. Did you add a power booster while at it? I would assume you switched to a disc/drum master cylinder and added a proportioning valve.

I was seriously considering this but worrying about factory wheels clearing scared me off. I just picked up a 73 front end so I’ll be going the dent side route on my 70.