installing new thermostat/housing help

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

sharkdog

installing new thermostat/housing help

Post by sharkdog »

Hi all,

I was installing a new thermostat the other day in my truck 70 2wd 360 long box and herd a tink, realized that my housing had cracked. Just wondering if that is common was it just the age of it or should I have Torqued it and what specs? I think it was the original one. anyway I have picked up a new one from lmc truck and am getting ready to install it but the new one has a plug on the side of it unlike my original. I assume it's for an aftermarket temp sensor or something which I don't need. Any way when I put the plug in should I Loctite it? I don't want it coming out or leaking for that matter! secondly when I install it do I need to us rtv or anything or is just using the gasket fine? my old one I took of was caked in gasket maker and want to know if it's necessary.

Thanks, Pete aka sharkdog
1970 f-100 360 c-6 2wd ps/pb longbox
pcmdub

Re: installing new thermostat/housing help

Post by pcmdub »

Thermostat housing has a gasket. I wouldn't use RTV unless it leaks and you need to come up with a fix. Shouldn't leak with a good gasket thou.

The temperature probe fitting should already have a plug installed with red thread sealer. Loctite Blue/Red is to stop a bolt/thread from loosening over time. Thread sealer is used to stop it from leaking/weeping. Just get a tube of hi-temp thread sealer and you should be fine.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

If the stat dropped out of it's recessed area it can crack the housing .
you can hold it in position with a wire or a drop of glue.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

also there's two sizes t stat for F E engines early models take a bigger one.
sharkdog

Post by sharkdog »

thanks for the help/suggestions picked up some thread sealer and will put it on the plug before install and got a good fel-pro gasket so hopefully wont leak. Well be carful the thermostat doesn't slip out incase that's what happened last time may try the wire suggestion.

thanks again Pete
1970 f-100 360 c-6 2wd ps/pb longbox
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Pete,

Thread sealer or as we called it in the US Navy "magic tape" (teflon tape is my go to". :thup:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
shorty73

Post by shorty73 »

The thermostat probably slipped out of the recess as you were torquing it down. This caused the housing to crack. Ask me how I know. Use a few small dabs of caulking to hold the thermostat in place. A gasket is required and the “pellet” side goes toward the engine. If there is a small air bleed hole in the thermostat, put it at the top. If I recall, the recess for the thermostat is in the housing, not the block. Install order: housing, thermostat, gasket, engine block.

Hopefully someone will call me out if I got anything wrong.

Justin

Edit: Haven’t been to this webpage in awhile. Just saw how old the last post was after posting my response. Oof. Need to pay more attention.
1968 F250 2wd 360/c6 PS PB (disc) Camper Special