Flummoxed: 1970 F-250 3G Alternator Wiring

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Occidental

Flummoxed: 1970 F-250 3G Alternator Wiring

Post by Occidental »

I decided it was time to upgrade to the 3G alternator on my 1970 F-250 with the 360 FE engine. Seemed pretty straight forward and with a Painless Performance wiring loom, should have been a slam dunk.

Or so I thought.

I believe I've got the main wiring sorted as far as connecting up the charge wire and the battery. But I'm getting no power at all right now and I'm presented with a challenge that the wires I believe I should be connecting (based on the schematic) don't seem to be doing what I thought they would. Plus I'm left over with a surplus of wiring from removing the external regulator.
F-250_IgnitionCharge_Wiring.jpg
Here's the scene and pardon the mess. I've placed numbers on the areas of concern presently. Which isn't to say I haven't borked something else up completely.

1) 3-pin OEM plug. Heavy Black wire with yellow stripe, red wire, and yellow wire.
2) 2-pin OEM plug. Yellow wire with green stripe, Green wire with red stripe.
3) Yellow wire from Alternator (this is supposed to go to the positive side of the solenoid and that's where I've hooked it up)
4) Green wire with red stripe (this should go to a switched wire)

First Question: Should the green/red wire from the Alternator connect to the green/red wire on the 2-pin plug?

Second Question: Where should the remaining wires on those plugs be connected? The positive side of the ignition coil (because that's what it looks like)?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Occidental

Re: Flummoxed: 1970 F-250 3G Alternator Wiring

Post by Occidental »

Nevermind, I got it sorted. :thup: