Brake wheel cylinder

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Brake wheel cylinder

Post by crazyhorse »

I have a 72 Ford F100 Ranger XLT short be with the 9" rear end.
The brake cylinder is leaking brake fluid.
Where can I get or order the brake cylinder washers that holds the brake fluid in brake cylinder.
lAny help/advice/information ?
Thanks .
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Brake wheel cylinder

Post by crazyhorse »

crazyhorse wrote:I have a 72 Ford F100 Ranger XLT short bed with the 9" rear end.
Where can I get or order the brake cylinder washers that holds the brake fluid in brake cylinder.
Thanks .
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

="crazyhorse"I have a 72 Ford F100 Ranger XLT short be with the 9" rear end.
Thanks .
If you mean the rubber "pistons" inside the wheel cylinder itself I doubt you'll be able to buy just those.
In the late 70's most brake parts manufacturers stopped selling WHEEL CYLINDER REBUILD KITS due to all the folks with lawsuits against the same companies. Guys would throw a rebuild kit in a used pitted wheel cylinder and then it would start leaking again and fail causing loss of brakes.

Any local parts store should be able to sell you a new wheel cylinder, (take the old one with you if you can to match it up-and possibly for a core charge). :wink:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
DisneysPatB
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by DisneysPatB »

Dorman and Centric both make the replacement complete cylinder for these. They also make a very small handfull of rebuild kits, but your truck is not one of the ones, Centric has it tagged as discontinued. As Basketcase said, just replace the whole thing. That is what I am doing.
1970 F250 460 C6 - Project - Currently not running.
1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4 x 4 5.9 Magnum -not running.
1999 Toyota Corolla - Daily Driver.

https://fordification.com/forum/app.php ... y/album/43
crazyhorse
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by crazyhorse »

Thanks for all the replies.
I have had my truck for many years and have always just replaced the rubber cup that holds the brake fluid inside the brake wheel cylinder. I make sure the cylinder is clean and polished and have never had a problem.
I understand why some would have a problem.
If anyone knows or finds a place that will sell me the rubber cups PLEASE let me know.
Thanks again for the advice/information. :fr:
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

You can spend $5 on a rebuild kit or $10 for a new cylinder. Do the latter. I've been burned too many times in 45 years of working on these things. Pull the entire cylinder and take it to NAPA; they should be able to map it out and get you the correct interchange.

If they can match up my '37 and '40 Packards, they can certainly do this.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.
Red Mercury

Post by Red Mercury »

Rock Auto shows kits from several manufacturers. They include the usual rubber cups, dust caps, & spring. I picked a 1972 truck with a 360 engine since I don't know what engine you have. The wheel cylinders are likely the same anyway. Hopefully the link below works for you.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/for ... +kit,1956?

I agree with the other comments. New cylinders are well worth considering. At the same time I kind of hate throwing the old wheel cylinders in the trash if they can be rebuilt. Sometimes the wheel cylinders are pitted and shouldn't be rebuilt. You can get away with rust & pitting in the middle of the bore if the cups don't ride there anyway.

I spent my younger years around a small town country auto repair shop. We repaired & rebuilt a lot of stuff that would have gotten tossed today.