Need a Steering Column

Suspension, steering, brakes, wheels & tires

Moderator: FORDification

tqwrench

Need a Steering Column

Post by tqwrench »

I need to replace the steering column on my '69 F-250 390 CS Ranger. It has a Ford steering gear, C-6 Auto.

Two reasons why - one is that the column is not original, it is from a '72 or later, has the familiar two spoke wheel/horn pad, and it is black. My interior is candy apple red.

Next, the truck won't go into park anymore, tore it down and found the pot metal shift tube cracked.

Any leads on the right column for the truck would be appreciated. I will be calling a few yards tomorrow. Any tips/tricks/direction?
1969 F-250 390 Camper Special
Candy Apple Red/Wimbledon White
Red Mercury

Re: Need a Steering Column

Post by Red Mercury »

Two reasons why - one is that the column is not original, it is from a '72 or later, has the familiar two spoke wheel/horn pad, and it is black. My interior is candy apple red.
I might not be a lot of help to you but thought I would chime in. Are you sure your column is not original? Two spoke steering wheels were used in 1970 and up. Also, lots of trucks with red interiors had black steering columns. Maybe I am misunderstanding your post.

The shift tube itself is not made of pot metal--do you mean the shift lever quadrant or "cup" at the top of the column? They are made of pot metal and I believe are available.
tqwrench

Post by tqwrench »

Thanks Red.

I'll take another look down in that column and see if I can get a photo of what I found. Absorbing what you said about the column, one never knows, it could have been a late build '69 and they stabbed the later column in it? Who knows?
1969 F-250 390 Camper Special
Candy Apple Red/Wimbledon White
Red Mercury

Post by Red Mercury »

My bad. I just reread your original post and you clearly stated that it is a 69 so as far as I know that should be a 3-spoke wheel. I have owned original 1969 & 1970 custom cab F100's and at least that is they way they were. Pics will still help if possible.