72 green explorer special

Post progress reports on your project truck(s)

Moderator: FORDification

DuckRyder

Re: 72 green explorer special

Post by DuckRyder »

Is the bottom end of this engine put together?

Timing cover and gears on it?

E-mail me pictures (good pictures) of what you have using the contact bubble.

I'm not FT expert but I don't even think an FT intake will work with FE heads.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Ok, a few things. This is not comprehensive nor is it black and white. I implore you to either get the books I mentioned or enlist an experienced FE person to help you you will get even better help than me on one of the two dedicated FE forums, but you’re going to have to be a bit more organized and comprehensive with your initial post. Don’t make ‘EM drag it all out of you.

Based on what you’ve said you have a 40 over 410, whether or not it started life that way doesn’t matter 4.090 bore and a 3.98 stroke is a 40 over 410.

Most FE people will tell you going 40 over on one of these needs the block checked out, some blocks will be fine, some the walls will be thin. One would hope someone who built this with the intent of towing would have done due diligence but at the same time Silviolite pistons are not heavy duty.

Heads C8AE-H castings could have been finished into different part numbers but is a one of the heads a truck could have come with. You’ll have absolutely no issue putting them in your truck with factory manifolds if they have the correct bolt pattern as you say.

I’d try to figure out both the static compression ratio and dynamic but you gotta figure out what cam to do the dynamic, then you pick your head gasket thickness based on what you need the compression to be, if you can’t do this use the ones I linked in the full set they will yield a lower compression ratio than factory if the pistons are stock replacement which they appear to be.

If you have one of the common 4V S intake manifolds like you said earlier it’ll work perfectly with C8AE-H heads.
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
96 jag ranger

Post by 96 jag ranger »

Yes the bottom end is put together and the pan is still on the engine.as for the heads they screw d me one head is a c8aeh.the other is a c6aeu.so now it looks like I have to spend another 800 to 1000 to get a match head's.i don't have a thousand dollars to have a Fe expert come look at this motor .
96 jag ranger

Post by 96 jag ranger »

But you did not say what head gasket to use it looks like a 390 is too small so what gasket do I use for this motor .as for spending 2000 to hire a Fe expert I can't afford that .as for sending you pictures your email won't let me do that.my pictures are on my tablet.im thinking just destroying.this motor as nobody knows what it is .and to replace this motor would cost 8000.
96 jag ranger

Post by 96 jag ranger »

Thanks for the help but I'm going to take a sledgehammer to this motor as I have no other choice as nobody knows what this motor is.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I gave you a link to the head gaskets in a complete engine gasket kit.

Assuming you gave me correct information - I just told you what the engine is.
Robert

96 jag ranger

Post by 96 jag ranger »

You said it was a 410 but what is it with the .40 over bore a 390 gasket covers up the cylinder .so a 390 gasket won't work.as for the gasket part number is wrong .it is for a 390 .not a 410
96 jag ranger

Post by 96 jag ranger »

The only way I can send pictures is if I put the person name in my contacts .
96 jag ranger

Post by 96 jag ranger »

It is a 410with a .40 overbore that makes it a 4.090 not a 410 . nobody makes a head gasket with that bore size .that is why I'm done with this engine that nobody can identify I have given you all of the numbers and if you can't identify . including the date code.then I'm done with this engine and I'm selling the truck.as I have no choice.as for the part number you gave me its the wrong one.
96 jag ranger

Post by 96 jag ranger »

All you said is it is a 67 410 with a .40 overbore that doesn't help as that bore head gasket doesn't exist then local machine shop says in order to get a head gasket it has to be rebored to a bigger size that involves thousands of dollars .I don't think this block will take another oversize bore .and to replace this 410 will cost 10000.that is the reason Im getting rid of this pita .410 motor s are garbage.
96 jag ranger

Post by 96 jag ranger »

Too bad that it is a original 72 two tone green sport custom camper special explorer special with the sport custom interior.if I can't sell it then it goes to the junkyard for what I can get .
96 jag ranger

Post by 96 jag ranger »

My gallery won't let me access my other pictures don't know why.can I send them to the admin I have that email
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

You’ve misstated what I said a couple of time and apparently still don’t understand that a 40 over 390 and a 40 over 410 are exactly the same thing with respect to head gaskets.

Go back and read and try to apply what I’ve told you.

For like the 5th time those gaskets or 1020s are what you need.
Robert

DisneysPatB
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by DisneysPatB »

:nono: :roll: :doh: :help: :hmm:
1970 F250 460 C6 - Project - Currently not running.
1999 Dodge Durango SLT 4 x 4 5.9 Magnum -not running.
1999 Toyota Corolla - Daily Driver.

https://fordification.com/forum/app.php ... y/album/43
96 jag ranger

Post by 96 jag ranger »

Fine about the head gasket.but why does this motor have a 391 oil pump with the 5 sixteenth oil pump shaft and the 391 dist.and the intake that matches the 391 dist.anyone know the answer.also my new head's are a mismatch one is a c8aeh the other one is a c6ae I didn't know about the mismatch untill I opened the box es is that going to be a problem.thank you they look the same small ports and small valve chambers.