Tailgate cap/protector

No tech discussion, please

Moderator: FORDification

Bob 2+2

Tailgate cap/protector

Post by Bob 2+2 »

Does anyone out there know who sells an aluminum tailgate cap that would work on a 1971 F100. Everything I look at online doesn't go back any further than 1987 for Ford. That one is a Dee Zee brand and I'm not sure if it might work on a 71 or not. LMC shows a universal one made of vinyl by 3M but I would rather have metal. My tailgate is in good shape except it's kind of beat up right on top and I'd like to cover it up. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Tailgate cap/protector

Post by cep62 »

The aluminum once might be able to conform to the older tailgate , maybe even a gm or dodge might be close .
Any good sheet metal shops in your area ?
Bob 2+2

Post by Bob 2+2 »

Yea I suppose I could have something made up but was just looking for something quick and easy.
fastEdsel
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by fastEdsel »

Your best bet is to go to a truck accessory store the kind that sells box rails, running boards, window tint, welding rod bright headlights, tailgate caps, fuzzy dice, moon eyes decals, pine tree stinkem's, that kind of stuff. I have a tailgate cap on my '94 GMC chore truck that is stainless steel and looks nice. And I'm sure it's from an aftermarket store. It was on the truck when I bought it in '97. :clap:
F250 390 Ford

Post by F250 390 Ford »

I bought a Stainless cap a couple years ago from SSAMIUT.COM P/N 48270 67-72 FORD. It fit perfect! Great quality! Shinny like chrome.
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

I found several doing a search for "tail gate cap." Each vendor website is different.
Generalee0527

Post by Generalee0527 »

My experience is if there are any dents in the top of the tailgate it won't let the cap set snug. Mine would rattle cause the screws were on the inside of gate. Took it off and found it had been rubbing. I would consider taping it off and get a line-x or other type of spray in liner coating as a cap. I think there is a roll-on version called Herculiner at O'Reilly that might be easier.
68 Ranger. 302 Clevor w/ 3 on tree, soon to have front disc brakes.