5.0 W/GT40p Heads in a 69 F100

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

gleaner

5.0 W/GT40p Heads in a 69 F100

Post by gleaner »

It currently has the origonal 302 W/C4 that is tired. I intened to rebuild the origonal 302 at a later date and the 5.0 will go in a project that I figure will be aquired (as i'm prone to do such things). My question is exaust manifolds/headers has anyone done this. My serches have shown several 351W but didn't see any 302/5.0 with these heads. I dont want to modify anything as i will put it back origonal someday.

Thanks in advance for any help
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 5.0 W/GT40p Heads in a 69 F100

Post by basketcase0302 »

=gleaner
It currently has the origonal 302 W/C4 that is tired. I intened to rebuild the origonal 302 at a later date and the 5.0 will go in a project that I figure will be aquired (as i'm prone to do such things). My question is exaust manifolds/headers has anyone done this. My serches have shown several 351W but didn't see any 302/5.0 with these heads. I dont want to modify anything as i will put it back origonal someday.

Thanks in advance for any help
It's always been my understanding, (I built 3-302's from the bare block up with success) that the only difference in the 351 W is the deck height.
With that said if it were mine, I'd spend the money and try the 302's headers if you don't get a firm answer, (just don't bang them-up only "rough fit" them before even bolting them to the heads-that way you can source headers that have a return and you're only out shipping worst case scenario). :2cents:

And maybe Jamie, (our long-lost moderator) will come back as he's another SBF guy with a wealth of knowledge on them. :wink:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Ren

Post by Ren »

I put a 5.0 with GTP heads in a '71 F250, T-18, manual steering.

I used Sanderson Headers FF3GTS-302-P. They worked out very well.
gleaner

Post by gleaner »

We picked up the engine last nite. It was pulled from a 67 mustang and had HI-PO exhaust manifolds on it when it was in the car. The Sanderson FF3GTS look to be a replavement for HI-PO cast manifolds. Good to know before ordering they fit in your 71. Did you have plug clearence issues, I've read where I will have to run angle boots and possibly heat shields with these heads. The engine in the car where this one came from had the manifolds that were on the engine we bought but he didnt have GT40p heads on his current engine. So we could see if there were clearence issues.

Thanks for the help
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

I've studied the GT-40P head issue quite a bit because I was/am planning to put an Explorer into my 80s Ranger. The main header issue is due to spark plug angle of the P heads being different to all other factory 5.0 offerings. You can still run "regular" 5.0 headers with the P heads, but angled boots (usually 90°) are required. Ceramic boots and wire heat shields are also recommended due to how close they get to the headers.

You don't have to spend a lot on performance plug wires. Many years ago I got a set of "universal" plug wires from Napa with the ceramic ends pre terminated. I sourced my own ends for the Ford DIS coil packs online from Kingsborne and added a set of wire protectors from somewhere, probably Amazon. Never got around to actually doing the engine swap (might still happen), but the wire protectors are on the 360 in my F-100 and doing fine.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
Ren

Post by Ren »

The Sanderson headers I used under my particular circumstances worked out like a dream. There were no boot clearance issues with "P" heads.

One of the few remaining good things to come out of San Francisco!