FE vs SBF

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

FE vs SBF

Post by JoshT »

The idea of an engine swap on the F-100 is something that I never entertained the notion of until yesterday. Now I can't stop wondering about it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TLDR:

Mildly built 390/410 FE w/aftermarket heads and intake, throttle body EFI, and NP435

-vs-

Similarly built (power wise) SBF w/ multiport EFI, and manual overdrive transmission

Pros and Cons of each

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been around my F-100 since my dad got it in the 80s. It's always been an FE, recently discovered to be a 360 instead of the 390 like he assumed. My plan from the time I wanted to do womething with the truck involved retaining the FE. Either rebuilding it as a warm 390, or bumping it up to a 410, with aftermarket aluminum heads and intake and installing EFI (done). The EFI portion is already handled with a Holley Sniper. Possibly top it off by doing an overdrive transmission swap (staying manual), or adding a gear vendors to the NP435 and Dana 21.

I have an Explorer 5.0L that was originally destined for an 80s Ranger. Plans may be changing to keeping and turbocharging the 2.3L that is in that truck. That leaves me with a perfectly good 5.0L. Dollar for Dollar the 5.0 can be built as strong or stronger, more efficient, and more reliable than the FE. It can also more easily have an overdrive transmission placed behind it. It is already set up for MPFI, or with a simple manifold change and distributor it can run the throttlebody injection system that is currently on the FE. When that engine gets worn out, a 351 based stroker could pretty easily be put in its place.

While I have no doubt that the FE can be built stronger, gobs of power isn't my goal. I'm more interested in reliability and effeciency, though I know the latter is still a pipe dream. I want to be able to hop in this thing and drive it from GA to CA or AK without a concern, even though rarely leave GA. Once again, I'm sure that the FE can be built to do that, but if one runs into issues the SBF would be easier to source parts or replacement for. The SBF also has a greater selection of bolt on transmission and transfer case options to secure an overdrive.

FE is original to the truck and cooler. I'm building something for me to enjoy driving though, not for other people to judge, critique and look at. I won't be looking at the engine while sitting in the driver seat.

FWIW, the truck either gets this 5.0 or keep an FE, I'm not going to go out and purchase another engine to swap in. Well after the 5.0 swap I may buy a 5.8L to build and replace it with when the time comes, and if I keep the FE I may buy another block to build rather than having it down to build the current one, but I don't consider replacing like for like as engine swapping.

I'm having a small crysis here. The FE works and the V8 swap may still happen on the Ranger so I'm in no rush to figure anything out. I'm just trying to figure out some pros and cons of each option.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: FE vs SBF

Post by basketcase0302 »

It was a no brainer for me Josh, (always been very partial to my SBF engines having built 3 from the block up) but also due to the economical aspect of it. My bored .030 over mild RV cammed 2 BBL Motorcraft with the C-6 in my 71' one ton dually aluminum flat bed got 14 MPG even in the city!

Only way I'd ever own another FE would be to run it on the drag strip or race track, just no way to afford to drive anything anymore that averages 8 MPG.
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Ren

Post by Ren »

I am no admirer of the FE engine. The FE engine family, and the drip/gutter/rail thingy on the roof that causes rot, are the two worst features that plague these vehicles.

But if the FE currently in yer truck is healthy and running well, run it until something expensive/annoying happens, and THEN put in a 5.0

If you were genuinely interested in efficiency, you'd be on a Toyota forum.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I’d keep the FE.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
JoshT
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by JoshT »

Ren wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:50 am But if the FE currently in yer truck is healthy and running well, run it until something expensive/annoying happens, and THEN put in a 5.0
Of course. I'm not talking about yanking the engine out tomorrow, I'm looking at the future. This isn't just about the 68 F-100, I'm also trying to figure out what I want to do with the 85 Ranger, keep the 2.3 and add turbo, or 5.0 swap. Neither are going to happen immediately.

I can't say the FE is healthy, but it does get down the road, and starts almost every time I turn the key. What more can you ask for out of a 50 year old engine.
Ren wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:50 am If you were genuinely interested in efficiency, you'd be on a Toyota forum.
No, I wouldn't. If I had/wanted a Toyota I'd be on a Toyota forum. Obviously I'm not. I'm here. This must be what I want. IMO there's a big difference between saying I want more efficiency and I want 100 mpg.
1968 F-100 4x4 long bed - 360 FE - NP435 w/ Dana 21 - PS & PB conversion - Front Disc Swap - 265/75R16 - 1" S.L. & 2" B.L. (to be removed) - Homemade tube bumpers - Warn 8274 - Currently wearing 1970 body
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I’ve been thinking this after being mildly fed up with my fe.

Incidently I’ve also been thinking about explorer swapping a Ranger.

Honestly you’ll have as much in it as just buying the fe. The crew over at FE Power will have it just as efficient too. That’s my opinion anyway…
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
68fe360

Post by 68fe360 »

Basic maintenance often determines reliability more. Unless you are dealing with an engine family with know issues from the factory.

My odometer has turned over at least 3 or 4 times, and my 360 is still very reliable. In spite of it's oil leaks, and at least one burnt original none harden exhaust seat.

With a very basic old Holley pro-jection 2D conversion my mileage in my '68 went from about 6.5 mpg average to about 12 to 15 depending on how I drive. I have a pretty good feeling the sequential fire multiport conversion, and custom DIS setup I have planned for when I rebuild the engine will land it firmly in the 15 to 18 mpg range.

Mileage is most greatly effected by weight and the aero dynamics, or lack of lol. But pretty good improvement can be had if you know what you are doing, and not building for race performance. That doesn't mean lack of power. Just more of a focus on reliable, and proven long term parts. Fancy go fast rods designed for drag racing are designed to survive for X number of runs. Not 300K+ miles of daily driving.

With that said there is an AL head for the FE that has the heart shaped combustion chamber designed for a better burn with efi. I'm seriously considering a set of these. Last I looked I think they were about $1300. I don't think that is bad for what they are.

In the end it comes down to what you want, what you like, and what supporting componets are you going to run to achieve those goals.

I personally like the FE. The low end torque, feel, and sound. Like every engine family they have their quirks. Like loving to drop the oil pressure low at idle. It's not harmful, just concerning if you don't know about it. There are ways to address these quirks during a rebuild. Just like with the quirks of others engines. So which ever way you go be sure to research, and research again lol, or farm out the areas you are lacking in knowledge & ability or willingness.

I hope you let us know which way you choose to go. Even if it's a direction I don't personally prefer, it's still nice to see what others do. It helps keep the creativity fresh, and the mind open to other methods.
1972hiboy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1972hiboy »

DuckRyder wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:09 am I’d keep the FE.
I second,
Rich
1973 f350 super c/s 460/c6 22k orig miles
1972 f350 srw crewcab special 390
1972 f250 4x4 sport custom 390fe Red
1972 f250 4x4 custom 360 FE " Ranger Ric"
1972 f250 4x4 custom 84k og miles 390
1971 f250 4x4 sport custom 56k og miles. 360
1970 f250 4x4 428 fe hp60 205 d60
Dont eat yellow snow.....
tsherry
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by tsherry »

Comparing the SBF to the FE is apples vs. freight trains. They serve completely different missions.
too many Fords, no where near 'nuff time.

or, money.