Valve covers

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Zorm
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Valve covers

Post by Zorm »

Anyone have a line on a good set of valve covers for the 360? My old ones got rusted sitting outside(forgot where I put them). Right now I have a set of chrome ones but the are rusting. Not really looking for chrome ones, maybe close to the stock ones or a good set of aluminum ones.

Thanks
1971 F250 Camper Special, family owned since 1972
1983 Cherokee, last of the big ones, bought in Italy, family owned since 1998
1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 140 engine, 4 speed.

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life
Ren

Re: Valve covers

Post by Ren »

If I was looking for what yer looking for, I'd try ebay.

There are junkyards in the Pacific NW who sell on ebay. Those junkyards are STILL full of trucks of this vintage! To me, they have been very fair, responsive, honest, and reasonable to deal with.

Sadly, most junkyards here in California, with a much kinder climate, crushed most of these trucks. When something from the 60's does show up, they put it on a pedestal, worship every oil stain it leaves, throw around words like "barn find" and "survivor", and act like they found the Holy Grail!

Clowns.
timmytim
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by timmytim »

You wont find any F100s in junkyards in my area, much less the Fe. I believe after Gas Monkey Garage aired, people started thinking that these old work trucks are worth money. I'll stop before I get on my soap box 😂. I normally use parts brokers like car-part.com....Or eBay or just buy new parts from summit or jegs.
:fr:
buy'em dirty sale'em clean
get more money for the same
machine.....
:loco:

My 1967 bump: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 09#p668209

My 1970 Bump: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 16&t=50726
6Delta

Post by 6Delta »

You may also want to check out Craigslist and any swap meets you may have in your area. My experience with EBay is everyone thinks Fords are like GMs and want a fortune for their “numbers matching” valve covers to complete that show worthy Shelby 428 Cobra Jet or Bullitt clone. The ones listed are often way over priced as I see them around here on Craigslist for around $50.00 a pair (and over priced for $100.00 a pair).

It seems to me that the real problem is any Ford guys back when the FE was a contender swapped the old stock covers for aluminum finned or chrome dress up “kits” and most never even made it to a junk yard. There is a early Ford parts yard near me I checked with and he is always looking for the earlier gold Thunderbird 390 covers like came on my 63 Mercury convertible. Those I know ended up tossed beside the garage as soon as I could find chrome ones off a Cougar.

That doesn’t even begin to address the fact that the kids working at some yards have no idea that the FE even is. One yard guy took me to a pile of small block covers and when I told nim no, he said I must mean either the 429 covers or “hard to find 400 ones”. I didn’t even bother to argue with him.

I have decided to keep the Edelbrock chrome covers that match the air cleaner on my pickup since they detract from the Holley intake and after soaking them in EvapoRust they cleaned up real nice.
For all I know these covers have been on her since 1971.
No Brain - No Pain
71 F250 Sport Custom Camper Special
71 Ranchero Squire
70 Ranchero GT (Red w/351C 4V
70 Ranchero GT (Black w/302+)
03 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
74 Kawasaki H2 750 (Widowmaker)
75 Firebird 400
71 XKE FHC 4.2
04 XJ8 4.2
SBR_GUY

Post by SBR_GUY »

I bought the Edelbrock 4277 Elite II valve covers off Amazon. They look good.
1967 F100 Styleside Longbed W/352FE. Tremec TKX 5 Speed.
:D :D
Just loving life.
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Mach428 »

I have a very good used set Power by Ford FE valve covers. Price is $90 plus actual shipping. I also have a perfect air cleaner lid and hot air tube (from manifold to air cleaner). Perfect manual steering gear that I took off of my 69 with 20,000 miles to install PS. I have other various bump parts as well. PM if interested.