1967 Ford F100 Hand Throttle

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

scooty779

1967 Ford F100 Hand Throttle

Post by scooty779 »

This post is a reply to Basketcase302 but I didn’t think that the Parts Wanted forum was the best place to post so I posted this here.

I would love to see that hand throttle as over 40 years of working on / building / and sourcing parts for our bumps I've never even heard of one-much less it being offered by the dealer as it would be a major liability. Are you sure it's not an aftermarket add on as even the OEM Ford parts diagrams Kieth has given us show no such white elephant? I'm not saying you're wrong as it could be another one of the 1967-year model "one off" things?

Was it possible to have an OEM Hand throttle in a 67 F100? Why would anyone want one if it did exist?

Hand throttles were used on a variety of Ford trucks over the years and had specific applications. Anyone that needed to hold the engine at a specified RPM would have use for one. They were particularly useful for PTO applications and used to charge the battery on old generator equipped systems. Hard core 4WD drive folks sometimes used them to aid in “Rock Climbing” where a steady low (but above idle) RPM was desired. In the case of my truck my Dad used it to warm the engine up in the winter after it ran a few minutes and was off choke. The truck was always parked outside and he was able to go back into the house and continue preparing for work (drink coffee) and then go to work once it was warmed up. Not the best or most legal practice in some places these days but that was back in the late sixties.

The Autolite 2100 carburetor that the truck was originally equipped with had a provision for it. See the attached pictures from the OEM 1967 Ford Truck Shop Manual.
HThrottle Fig1.jpg
HThrottle F2.jpg

It also lists a partial part number of 9A514. The medium duty trucks in 1967 were where the HT would have been applied but any engine equipped with the 2100 and a manual choke could run one. When installed and activated the hand throttle cam depresses the fast idle cam and actuates the throttle plate giving the desired elevated RPM. It should be noted that this configuration does not interfere with the foot controlled accelerator and would be the safest configuration to employ a hand throttle on the truck.

It would be fairly trivial for the dealer to install the hand throttle since all they would need is the cable assembly and the cam to install on the carburetor.
IMG_4198_A.jpg
As you can see from the picture of my dash it is the most left of the controls. The reason it has the older (pre 1967) knob is that is what the dealer had in stock when it was installed. I have a more period correct assembly that will match the other controls on the 67. I believe that any of the 67-72 trucks have space to add this control in that position on the dash as there is usually some sort of other control lever or block off plate installed.
Hand Throttles were used into the 80’s on specifically equipped trucks. I have found variations on that part number that put a early 80’s manufacture date for sale on eBay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1967 F100 (352/T85N)
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 1967 Ford F100 Hand Throttle

Post by basketcase0302 »

Wowzers that is for sure a white elephant on our bumps! :eek:
Too kool but also dangerous IMO. :hmm:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4