cranks but won't start 360 2bl(bad fuel pump?)

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

sharkdog

cranks but won't start 360 2bl(bad fuel pump?)

Post by sharkdog »

Having a problem starting my truck the last few times i had it started it was running rougher and almost dyeing i noticed that there was a small leak on my accelerator pump diaphragm so i replaced it I also denoted i was basically out of fuel as my gas gauge is broken. after putting more fuel in the tank i managed to get it fired but it was rough and i had to maintain throttle. I ended up taking the carb of to fix a screw on the accelerator pump diaphragm as one wouldn't completely tighten and i thought that might be my problem(i tapped & put in a new bolt). of course my carb was really dirty so I ended up cleaning and rebuilding it(my first time). just reinstalled it but it's still not firing. i did check spark which is ok and i disconnected the fuel line and put it in a bottle to verify I have fuel coming out but when i'm cranking how much fuel should come out? should my standard 20 0z bottle fill pretty quick ? it did get fuel in it after cranking for 5-10 seconds in total but was barely even a 1/4 full. whats the best way to check fuel pressure? and how much should I have on my stock mechanical pump. I have aslo replaced the fuel filter as well. also I didn"t hook up my choke on the carb as it is heat activated and I didn't get a chance to replace and fix the lines to the manifold but shouldn't I still be able to Fire it with no choke using throttle. I was wondering if the pump is bad or there's just junk in my lines from running the truck more or less dry. or maybe i did somthing wrong on my carb rebuild I realized i never actually took the jets out of my carb when rebuilding. any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks Peter
1970 f-100 360 c-6 2wd ps/pb longbox
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: cranks but won't start 360 2bl(bad fuel pump?)

Post by jzjames »

Did you check for the right order of all your spark plug wires? The points gap?
Buy a can of starter fluid and give it some shots when cranking to see if it might be fuel related.
Yes not clearing the jets when cleaning the carb could be the problem.
And “running rough” might be the timing is way off. Good luck.
1972hiboy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by 1972hiboy »

cranking the engine for 5-10 seconds should yield more than 1/4inch worth of fuel in a coke bottle. if the fuel tank had been sucked dry it may take longer cranking times to prime the pump. I would verify you now have enough fuel in the tank and crank on it for a few more time and see if it picks up and starts pumping. if nothing changes then it may be time to swap fuel pumps and make sure the line from the pump to tank is clear.
Rich
1973 f350 super c/s 460/c6 22k orig miles
1972 f350 srw crewcab special 390
1972 f250 4x4 sport custom 390fe Red
1972 f250 4x4 custom 360 FE " Ranger Ric"
1972 f250 4x4 custom 84k og miles 390
1971 f250 4x4 sport custom 56k og miles. 360
1970 f250 4x4 428 fe hp60 205 d60
Dont eat yellow snow.....
sharkdog

Post by sharkdog »

Thanks for the help, seemingly I went out last weekend and dumped a bunch of gas down the carb and managed to get it fired well more or less mashing the pedal to the floor then i had to modulate the pedal to keep it running. I had a more knowledgeable friend around and he adjusted the needle screws and idle stop and we managed to get it to fire an idle without any pedal but it was backfiring quite a bit a few more adjustments got it idleing pretty smooth but still had the occasional backfire. seemingly i got back at it today to see if i could fine tune things but of course it's back to not starting again. :x anyway i'm probaly going to next weekend take the carb of and see about pulling the jets out and making sure they arnt plugged as well as probolly check all the lines to and from the pump and maybe even change it as I bought a new one the other day.

Anyway thanks again for the suggestions.
1970 f-100 360 c-6 2wd ps/pb longbox