4.6 swap in a 69 f250

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Crawdog

4.6 swap in a 69 f250

Post by Crawdog »

Hello everyone! New to the forum so thanks for the add. I’m starting a bit of a resto project on my 1969 f250 2wd and looking at various options. I currently have a seized original 360 auto and I’m looking at doing a swap. I’m looking to build a daily driver with some modern efficiencies. I know many do an LS swap (with lots of debate lol) due to ease and $$ which are definite considerations for me as well. All things being equal, I would prefer to keep running a ford engine. I have an opportunity to buy a low mileage 08 or an 09 crown Vic 4.6 with auto transmission for a very reasonable price. The 08 is a civilian model and the 09 is a PI. This brings me to my questions:
-Does anyone know if this swap works well? Any concerns/problems I should be aware of?
-Either model will come with the stock wiring harness. I read somewhere that the anti theft system wasn’t installed in PI models so it’s easier to swap as a result?
-Is it easier (but I know more expensive) to purchase a Holley terminator or similar wiring harness and avoid using the stock harness or is it easy enough to use the stock harness? I’ll preface this by saying I have little to no experience in wiring.

I apologize if this has been discussed before but I couldn’t find anything that spoke specifically to this.

Thanks in advance for your helpful replies!
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 4.6 swap in a 69 f250

Post by cep62 »

:wel:
Welcome to our site.
If you scroll down to project updates , there are some older threads with late model engine swaps.
Crawdog

Post by Crawdog »

Ok great! And thanks
Generalee0527

Post by Generalee0527 »

If the engine is a 3v, expect issues with cam phasers and timing chain tensioners. The 5.4l 3v in the F150's have a history of costing major $$ and headaches. 4.6 not as bad but still a headache. Personally the 2v in my 97 Tbird has 310k original miles and no smoke, runs like a top and 22 mpg. The best way to put a 4.6 in an older vehicle is to connect to a 4r70w which can be controlled with the Holley sniper system which allows use of non-stock intake on 4.6, or US Shift controller. Check out AutoRestomod on YouTube where Jeff Ford did the US Shift 4r70 in a 60's Galaxie. Depends on what you want out of it cruiser, track or work. For what it is worth, when I need to do a repower on my Tbird I am going with a Trick Flow heads and 2v cam to get nearly same power as base coyote but I want to stay Natural Aspirated. Check out the engine swap issues on the tccoa.com forums or corral.net for engine swap info on the 4.6l
68 Ranger. 302 Clevor w/ 3 on tree, soon to have front disc brakes.