Accelerator pedal sticking

Inside the cab...appearance, repair, upgrades

Moderator: FORDification

ChrisB

Accelerator pedal sticking

Post by ChrisB »

72 F250, generally at times trending colder and wetter the foot feed will stay where you leave it. I can easily pull it back while shifting gears. I have lubricated the pedal shaft where it rotates in the retainer on the footwell with everything from silicon or Teflon spray to WD40 and heavier oil. It never solves the problem when I do it. Usually within 1-3 days and as many trips later it will clear. It never happens in higher temps.

I know it’s not linkage or under the hood related. It’s one of the strangest things I’ve ever witnessed automotively.

Anyone experience this with this hardware?

Solutions?
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Accelerator pedal sticking

Post by Mach428 »

You should disconnect the accelerator linkage and check for free movement. If there’s no binding, check your carburetor for sticking.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

=ChrisB
72 F250, generally at times trending colder and wetter the foot feed will stay where you leave it. I can easily pull it back while shifting gears. I have lubricated the pedal shaft where it rotates in the retainer on the footwell with everything from silicon or Teflon spray to WD40 and heavier oil. It never solves the problem when I do it. Usually within 1-3 days and as many trips later it will clear. It never happens in higher temps.

I know it’s not linkage or under the hood related. It’s one of the strangest things I’ve ever witnessed automotively.

Anyone experience this with this hardware?

Solutions?
Yep. been there done that.
Look closely at the carpet or the mat on the firewall for pinching or binding.
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

With the mechanical linkage a bad motor mount can cause the linkage to bind .
Does it only stick when you are driving ? or will it stick with the engine off?
Fraser

Post by Fraser »

All my trucks are 30 miles away right now, and I can't remember if they have 1 return spring or 2. Some have a spring inside a spring, some have front and rear springs, anyway, it's not uncommon for one to go missing over the years. and what's left is marginal at best.
F. Noble, Saskatchewan.