Radiator support project

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Ferris95

Radiator support project

Post by Ferris95 »

I was wondering before I tackle replacing the rusty radiator support, does it just unbolt, or is it welded to anything? If just lots of bolts to get it our and replaced, then I can do that. If it has to be cut out and rewarded anywhere, then that is a little problem. And anyone have a place I should get it? I was looking at this one from Dennis Carpenter. Part #: C7TZ-16378-A
But I can get one at LMC or NPD. $375 at DK and NPD, but only $305 at LMC. Is there a Quality difference?

Also, is there anything else I should be looking at replacing while I have this off?

https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/trucks ... re-support
68 F-250 Ranger Camper Special 390 FE
Retired Army
390FE1972
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Radiator support project

Post by 390FE1972 »

The radiator support is just bolted in, there is no welding involved with replacing it. You may want to replace the radiator core support bushings that are bolted to the frame. I have had some good luck with LMC, such as the premium front bumper, but other items that I felt were of inferior quality compared to say from say NPD or Dennis Carpenter, but I don't have any experiences with the radiator core support. Good luck with your project.
1972 F250 Sports Custom 390 FE C6 2WD Dana 60 4:10 gears
Ferris95

Post by Ferris95 »

Is Dennis Carpenter worth the extra $100 it would be for the part over LMC Truck? It’s $50 more for the part and shipping is $200 freaking dollars to go 163 miles! It’s $150 shipping from LMC. What the heck :?
68 F-250 Ranger Camper Special 390 FE
Retired Army
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

=Ferris95
Is Dennis Carpenter worth the extra $100 it would be for the part over LMC Truck? It’s $50 more for the part and shipping is $200 freaking dollars to go 163 miles! It’s $150 shipping from LMC. What the heck :?
Have to be very careful here as our founder and boss works for LMC...
But if it were me I'd make the drive to DC, (after confirming inventory in stock).
I'd never been disappointed in the quality of DC parts as they were the first to get Fords die stamps and OEM parts manufacturing. :wink:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
Venomous duck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Venomous duck »

I may be able to give some insight into this as I just bought one. First of all, and I am speculating here, I believe there is only one factory that actually makes the core support so no matter where you get it then it will probably be the same one. I do not know this for a fact but there isn't enough demand for multiple companies to be making these IMO. I know you are considering Dennis Carpenter but I am sure they don't actually make them. I don't think they are making much of anything anymore. I looked at every place that offered a support for these and they vary a lot in price. Everyone I have seen where the box is visible it has the same logo on it. APEX. As you have discovered shipping is crazy. It is too big to go by standard shipping and has to go by LTL (truck). I bought mine from ebay. It was marketed as a Goodmark. It came in the same APEX box with a Keystone label on it with Goodmark logos. Now here is where you might save some money, maybe. Keystone is an LKQ company. If you have an LKQ salvage near you then call them and ask them for core support Keystone part number GMK3144320671. If they can get it then it may save you on shipping cost and possible shipping damage. I did not know Keystone had these when I ordered mine so I did not try this. Ebay was the least expensive option that I found when I was looking for mine. As far as quality goes I was very happy with the one I got, it is about as close to the original as one can expect and fit very well. BTW this only pertains to the standard cooling system. If you are needing one for the supercool option then you are probably not going to find a new one. As far as removal and installation goes then you will not need a welder but you may need a saw to cut the bolts out that mount it to the frame. However if you can save the hardware you will be better off. If you would like you can look at page 17 of my build thread in project updates for more details. I hope this helps.