Determining if front bumper is OEM

Moderator: FORDification

sparky72

Determining if front bumper is OEM

Post by sparky72 »

I’ve been wanting to either have my front bumper straightened and rechromed or just replaced ever since I bought my truck. Trouble is, I don’t want to pay the cost to have it worked on if it’s not actually original. Might as well just buy another repop, or search for an OEM one. Were these bumpers stamped with a logo, a part number, or anything that identified them as being a Ford part? Perhaps the metal was a known thickness (or rather, perhaps the repops are a known [thinner?] thickness)?

Appreciate the help :thup:
30BA06EA-E6D5-4FE4-8130-0937C1738760.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Taylor
1972 F250 Ranger XLT 2wd / 8100 GVW / 390 / T18 / 3.73 D60
Fraser

Re: Determining if front bumper is OEM

Post by Fraser »

I have seen some with the Ford oval, or a part # prefix (C5TZ?) stamped, but they were not all alike, I am sure Ford had more than one supplier over the years. I had a Chinese repop that was about a third the thickness it should be. Again, lots of different suppliers there.
You may just have to take it off and inspect for markings, I have even seen a Ford # sticker still in place on the back.
Those bends, between the frame horns and license plate are common, I have just flattened them out on a press before. (Driver, not show)
F. Noble, Saskatchewan.
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Mach428 »

Easily removed. See how much it weighs. Usually a repop is crazy lightweight.
kentdaryl

Post by kentdaryl »

If it helps, I just unwrapped an NOS chrome front bumper I'd been saving for about 20 years, the sticker attached to the backside is C4TZ-17757-D. Also, stamped into the lower flange is "2A2376", perhaps a date code. Both the NOS/OEM bumper and the re-pop I removed (don't recall where I bought it years ago) measure 11ga. Cheers.