Radiator differences

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Gaslight

Radiator differences

Post by Gaslight »

I am working on an electric fan project with ac AC condenser. Rather than take my truck apart and have it sit while I measure and build everything. I was going to buy a used radiator and use it. I found one locally from a bump. The owner says its from a 302 truck. I don't care about the fins I just need the frame of the radiator to be the same as mine. Which is a 69 with a 360. Are the radiators basically the same in the mounting and such?

Jake
1969 F100 Ranger
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Radiator differences

Post by bluef250 »

I believe the radiators interchange. Heavier duty trucks used thicker radiators. Auto trucks may have radiator fluid cooler built in.
Gaslight

Post by Gaslight »

I went and bought the radiator. Before I did I made some simple measurements with my truck. At least everything that is important to me is the same as the radiator in my truck. The radiator looks identical. So I am already building the electric fan mounting.

Thank you to everyone that posted.

Jake
1969 F100 Ranger
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

How are you planning on attaching fan? Do you have idea about doing electrical. Fan does not need to run all the time and some fans have 2 speeds.
Gaslight

Post by Gaslight »

I am building sheet metal brackets that will bolt into the factory holes on the radiator and use the factory mounting points on the shroud. If I do a good job then taking it off will require no more work than taking the factory shroud off.

I have an extra 3/8 NPT in the water neck I am not using. I ordered a SPAL 185-2TS sending unit that will screw right in. That's a 185 deg. on and 165 deg. off. Then a Bosch relay to the battery power.

This fan is a single speed unit.

Jake
1969 F100 Ranger
Gaslight

Post by Gaslight »

Not sure if anyone is really interested in this choice or not. But I finished the proto-type brackets. Everything bolted right up. Shroud fits the stock radiator perfectly.
F100_Radiator_1.jpg
F100_Radiator_2.jpg
F100_Radiator_3.jpg
Just need to pick up some screws today and do some wiring this weekend.

Jake
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1969 F100 Ranger
Gaslight

Post by Gaslight »

Here is the SPAL temp sensor screwed into what was a blocked off port.
F100_Radiator_4.jpg
Jake
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1969 F100 Ranger