Duraspark 2 with MSD 6A and Accel Super Coil

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

stink bear

Duraspark 2 with MSD 6A and Accel Super Coil

Post by stink bear »

I think it's time for a new distributor. I'm currently running what I would guess is the original dizzy with an MSD 6A and an Accel Super Coil. The parts inside the dizzy are rusty, and probably worn. Since I already have the MSD and Super Coil, the cost of those is not an issue. My two real questions are:

What will I gain by going to a DSII given that I already have the MSD and Super Coil on it?

Will the DSII be reliable and last? I have read that high energy coils should not be used with a DSII, but I believe that is with the stock control box.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Duraspark 2 with MSD 6A and Accel Super Coil

Post by cep62 »

stink bear wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:29 pm Will the DSII be reliable and last?
Yes
stink bear wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:29 pm What will I gain by going to a DSII given that I already have the MSD and Super Coil on it?
You won't have to adjust / change points
You should be able to run the MSD with the D S II . maybe?
stink bear

Re: Duraspark 2 with MSD 6A and Accel Super Coil

Post by stink bear »

You won't have to adjust / change points
You should be able to run the MSD with the D S II . maybe?

Thanks for the reply cep62.

I'm pretty sure I can run the MSD with the DSII.

I'm aware of not having to adjust / replace points. I'm not too concerned with that, the truck is just a just a summer toy. I was thinking of things like better or hotter spark, more reliable or better advance maybe. The truck seems to start and run well with the current distributor, other than the idle fluctuation. I'm suspicious that it's not performing quite as well as it should, partly because of the idle fluctuation, and partly because it's rusty inside, and when I move the advance plate by hand, it feels rough. I wouldn't think any improvement in spark with the DSII would be negligible given that I'm already running the MSD, but not sure.