New Paint / Value Added

Moderator: FORDification

lightfoot

New Paint / Value Added

Post by lightfoot »

I have a 1968 F100 short bed that was repainted about 11 years ago and is starting to blister and rust in several places mostly around the lower part of the hood and along the bump down the side. Nothing much bigger than a dime but it appears that a few of the spots on the hood may be rusting through. I have a very reputable shop that I've dealt with for many years, and they will do a single step paint coat and repair all the rusted areas for $6K. This includes replacing the front window, and a spray in bed liner. The body is all metal with no dents or bondo anywhere. I got the truck 9 years ago and only paid $3500 for it. so,with the paint Id have approximately $10K invested. So, my question is, is it worth it to have it repainted? How much value would I actually be adding? The picture is about 7 years old and doesn't show the rust that's just started in the past 3 years.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts" Albert Einstein
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: New Paint / Value Added

Post by cep62 »

lightfoot wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:02 pm is it worth it to have it repainted? How much value would I actually be adding?
Painting an old vehicle is not an investment. If you're going to sell it you might break even.
If so sell it as is.
If you're going to keep it then it's up to you if it's worth the money.

Remember rust never sleeps and a repaint doesn't last forever.
$6000 sounds like a fair price for a paint job , but that's not a complete restoration.
So don't be surprised if something pops up in the future. :2cents: