Wire TYPE question

Charging, starting, lighting, gauges, HVAC

Moderators: FORDification, Thunderfoot

Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Wire TYPE question

Post by Heavenlyfire »

I have access to a lot of wire from work. It is all in 4 foot lengths but here is my question. Is house hold wiring the same as automotive? Basically, we have to cut 4 feet off of our cords for our power strips and they just toss the leftover. If it is the same wire I could use it to rewire some of my truck and then just label them with the right color codes for future referance. It is the same size wire as you would get in a good heavy duty extension cord. HELP lol lol
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

its the guage of wire that you want to be watchful of. i'm not sure what kind or extension cords your talking about {the brown ones}? but it might work if its the correct guage. but i wouldn't ruin my truck with a rig like that.
Heavenlyfire
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

re: Wire TYPE question

Post by Heavenlyfire »

Not the little cheesy brown or white ones. Something more like the orange ones. They have the outer insulator and inside are 3 seperate insulated wires. Good quality wire. I think 14 or 16 guage. The only thing is like I said the colors. But also this would just be temporary until I could afford all new wire the right colors.
adrianspeeder
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by adrianspeeder »

Not quite, house wiring isn't designed to withstand oil or fuel, and could possibly break down over time faster than automotive primary wire.

Adrianspeeder
'08 F-250 Spartan Tuned 6.4L PSD ZF-6 4x2 XL, Reg Cab,
'02 F-250 Vin Diesel 7.3L PSD 4R100 4x4 XLT, Crew Cab,
'97 F-150 Dad’s last truck 4.6L M5OD 4x4 XLT, EX Cab,
'79 F-150 Homebrew Dually 351M C6 4x2 Lariat, Reg Cab,
'71 F-100 Bump 302 4x2 3/tree Stepside Custom, Reg Cab,
'66 F-250 Slick 352FE 4x2 3/tree Custom Cab, Reg Cab,
Broncos: '94 Grandpa’s mint daily driver XLT 302 E4OD,
'92 Momma’s daily driver XLT 302 M5OD, '88 OJ XLT 351 C6, '84 Mint! Lariat 351HO C6,

USAF TSgt C-17 Aircraft Maintenance Flying Crew Chief & Flightline Avionics Craftsman
layedout72
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by layedout72 »

to answer your question, you COULD use it. wire is wire is wire is wire...........but whats AROUND the wire is what you need to be sure of.
kid

Re: Wire TYPE question

Post by kid »

Heavenlyfire wrote:I have access to a lot of wire from work. It is all in 4 foot lengths but here is my question. Is house hold wiring the same as automotive? Basically, we have to cut 4 feet off of our cords for our power strips and they just toss the leftover. If it is the same wire I could use it to rewire some of my truck and then just label them with the right color codes for future referance. It is the same size wire as you would get in a good heavy duty extension cord. HELP lol lol
The household wire does not have the high temp, grease and oil resistant insulation. Cable (two or more wires in a common jacket) which is the wire type from my field is SEEOW (Styrene Butadiene rubber extreme Environment Oil (oil grease gas) resistant Water proof). Automotive uses GPT GXL SXL TWP TXL HDT type wire
http://www.spl-cable.com/english/